Smarter Style: Solving some Wardrobe Worries

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

When the weather cools down, and our wardrobes need to change too, there are several issues that all the extra layers can bring up in a family. There's the issue of losing all the mittens and gloves all the time. There's the issue of bundling everyone up only to overheat soon as you go into a store or the car, or wherever. There's the issue with having muddy footprints all around your house, from fall through springtime, just for starters. Here are some simple solutions to some of these common cold weather wardrobe worries to make your life easier before the inevitable happens again in your home this season or next.

First of all, get some hooks. Hang some hooks high, out of the kids' reach, for your grown-up coats and scarves and things, and some hooks low, for them. Letting them choose their hooks can help get them to remember and even take pride in taking care of their things, and hanging them up for you, so they are easier to find. Make sure you have enough hooks, so things are not all jammed on one hook; that defeats the purpose. Have a hook for coats, one for scarves and hats and mittens, and one for bags. Or, have a couple of hooks and a bin underneath or above for the smaller things. This helps enormously in winter when there is so much gear to put on and take off all the time. (My grandma taught me to put kid's mittens on strings, which is a great way to not lose them, and make them easy to hang up too.)

Secondly, have a shoe / boot rack or at least rug by your front door to help keep the mud OFF your floors. Trust me, if you need to get everyone funny slippers as early holiday gifts this year so they don't ruin all their sox, you'll still be saving yourself time and money in cleaning efforts. I also have a really great non-slip burlap rug right in our front entrance, which is pretty large, and thin, and it is great at keeping most of the dirt in one place (we even park our bike and before, our kid's stroller on this too). It's durable, washable, coarse, and shorthaired, so it vacuums up really well too, and does not trap any dry mud or dirt. I love this and highly recommend it!

Third, to avoid overheating, when you are shopping for new warm clothes this season, try to remember to buy light, breathable materials (I know this sounds like it won't keep you warm but it does). If your skin can breathe, you don't sweat as much, and sweating in winter clothes is no fun because then the sweat can make you feel cold once you are back outside. Stick to cotton and 100% light wool, which you can layer well, and avoid synthetic materials like polyester and nylon. Having a coat that's wind proof and / or waterproof, even if it's not bulky, will also go a long way to keeping your family warm and dry and not overheated, because the wind and cold wetness are largely what makes a person shiver, actually.

Do you have any wardrobe solutions to share? How do you keep your family warm, dry and organized through the long cold months ahead?

© iStockphoto.com/sbossert

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Thanks! During the colder months I have the kids enter the house through the mudroom instead of the sunroom during the.fall & winter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:03 AM

They know where their stuff is supposed to go...And I'm greatful my nephew bought me a carpet shampooer..It's come in real handy... 

wandep
by Pam on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Live in Florida! LOL We usually just wear a semi heavy jacket. Very seldom we get to bring out gloves and hats. I think we have about 2 weeks of really cold weather. We either keep it in the closet or hang it on the hooks we have.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:44 AM
We have a mess rigjt now
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:30 AM

The kids have cubbies in our mud room (they enter the house through here). Everything is immediately hung up and put away.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Thanks!

I have a coat hanger and shoe tray at the front door. It doesn't get super freezing cold so we dress in layers instead of big bulky coats. I also like scarves and my favorite pashmina.

fraujones
by Amanda on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM

tfs

othermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM

We have a thing hanging on my girls door for their gloves and stuff. My son stores his in his desk

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

My clothing changes from bathing suits, shorts, tank tops and flip flops to capris, tops with sleeves, closed in shoes and a sweater for really cold January. lol

bether89
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

We have a drawer that we put all the hats and gloves in so that we can find them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: