Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Tricks for Taking A Good Group "Selfie"

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

Who had a Halloween festival over the weekend? Perhaps a parade or a special afternoon of games and fun organized by the PTA? The kids got all dressed up and maybe even your whole family got into the action and donned some spooky masks or funny outfits. Prime time for a photo op, eh?

We are in the season of picture time: families in town, events, concerts, holidays gatherings, you name it, it's a perfect opportunity to whip out the smart phone and snap away. And with the great gadgets these days, everyone can be in the picture if you turn it around and take a "group selfie."

But how many of us tried to do a group selfie and failed, cropping off part of someone's body and making everyone look like they are inflated balloon heads? The thing is, there are tricks to make that selfie good enough to use on the holiday card and I've got them below for you! (Why not try some on Thursday?)

-- Figure out the good angle. Most experts say having the camera slightly above you, so you tip your chin up a bit is the best. Have folks tilt their heads a wee bit to the left or right instead of looking directly at the camera. The one big angle no-no: never take a picture with the camera low, angled up toward you or you are bound to create an unflattering view.

-- Get some good lighting. If at all possible, take the picture in natural light, with the sun in front of the group (if it is behind, your faces will look quite dark). And remember, no one looks good in florescent lighting.

-- Look beyond the group. I'm talking about what is around you. Create a great backdrop -- in a doorway, among some trees -- anywhere other than a blank hallway wall.

-- Have fun. The trick with selfies? Don't be serious. Keep the crew giggling and laughing whatever way you can as you set up the shot.

-- Filters are your friend. The other good thing about selfies? They are on your phone, with all of those cool photo editing apps and Instagram, so you can add a cool filter and a frame to enhance it and make it even more spectacular.

Do you take selfies with your phone? Share your best seflies from the holidays (or anytime)!

ŠiStockphoto.com/nebari

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Pam on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Here's me this am:)
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I hate any pic with me in it.But I love taking pics of my family and nature

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM

i dont really do selfies, or they are on my camera and not many

JKuney
by Jessica on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I'm sorry I just don't understand the selfie :/

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Ds loves to have his pic taken I need to show him how to do a selfie!!!!
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM

no i am not into the selfies at all

othermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM

My phone doesn't take pictures, We occasionally take some with my husbands phone, but not really. I do bring the camera with us

Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM

My phone takes really bad pictures.  Plus, it's not a smart phone and we don't have internet on our phone plan.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Yes we do...

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Great pic...I LOVE your wall quilt....It's AWESOME....

Quoting wandep:

Mobile Photo

Here's me this am:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)