Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have YOU ever been homeless or know someone who IS or have been in the past?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM
  • 129 Replies

There is just so much uncertainty going on in the economy and more and more people are falling on hard times, losing jobs, hours being cut etc....so it got me thinking about people who end up in shelters, their families and how people handle it or have in the past.

Anyone in a situation or know someone? How was or is the experience? Is there enough HELP for people? Is there help in job placement ? Medical attention? Where do they keep their items from their former home?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I know someone who was homeless. She was in a car accident and experienced a TBI. She couldn't work any longer because her memory was bad and she had sensory processing issues. This was someone who was highly motivated, she was in med school and distraught that finishing and practicing was no longer a possibility. Her disability was approved but the housing in her state was frozen for almost 2 years and when it opened the people who got priority were the homeless and addicts. The disability was not nearly enough to cover rent in her state so she had to get a voucher. She opted to be homeless to get priority. She was getting money from disability so she paid for a storage unit, had a cell phone, etc and she couldn't have cash assets over a certain amount. After she got housing her condition worsened due to illness. But she is an advocate for the homeless, a writer, and volunteers at a children's hospital. She's really an amazing person.
cjsmom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM
It's crazy how one accident can impact your life like that.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I know someone who was homeless. She was in a car accident and experienced a TBI. She couldn't work any longer because her memory was bad and she had sensory processing issues. This was someone who was highly motivated, she was in med school and distraught that finishing and practicing was no longer a possibility. Her disability was approved but the housing in her state was frozen for almost 2 years and when it opened the people who got priority were the homeless and addicts. The disability was not nearly enough to cover rent in her state so she had to get a voucher. She opted to be homeless to get priority. She was getting money from disability so she paid for a storage unit, had a cell phone, etc and she couldn't have cash assets over a certain amount. After she got housing her condition worsened due to illness. But she is an advocate for the homeless, a writer, and volunteers at a children's hospital. She's really an amazing person.

KW1280
by Todah on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM
To be honest no on both questions

cjsmom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I knew someone who had a place with her friend and left because they beat her son when she wasn't home. She stayed with me for two days until beds opened up in the shelter.
Beautifulmom513
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

me and my husband were homeless before in the past with our son who was 3-4 years old at the time. we became homeless back in 2006 and it lasted about 2 years. the problem was we were living in a very high cost living area and even tho we both worked, we just couldn't afford rent between the 2 of us. we got by by camping in a tent for a few months. then we bought a tent trailer and lived in that going back and forth to several different campgrounds. we finally decided to move to an area 3 hours away from all our family and friends where the cost of living was a lot lower. it was a hard move, but a necessary one in order to get back on our feet. 

KW1280
by Todah on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I enter by accident

They keep items in cars, they get stolen or sold. There are shelters but most are geared to moms w/ children. Some places offer rental assistance.
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

that is so sad...does she get enough medical help? it's good to hear that she GIVES to others now as well after what she has been thru herself. did she have any family at all who she could have got help from or not really?

Quoting quickbooksworm:

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM
It was really eye opening to know her and read her online journals. There are so many misconceptions about being homeless and the reasons for it and how the system does and doesn't work.

Quoting cjsmom1:

It's crazy how one accident can impact your life like that.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

that is HORRIBLE!! why would they beat her child? is the child ok? are they still at a shelter? was her child able to stay with her there or separated?

Quoting cjsmom1:

I knew someone who had a place with her friend and left because they beat her son when she wasn't home. She stayed with me for two days until beds opened up in the shelter.

slw123
by Shawna on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I do know someone.  There's isn't any real help.  She's putting her stuff into storage right now, she hasn't been kicked out of the house yet, but will be any day now.  She has no where to go and has exhausted every avenue looking for any kind of assistance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN