Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Fabulous ideas for leftover Halloween candy

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

We all joke about it: how your kids gets so much candy from their trick-or-treating that it lasts til the next candy-focused holiday (that being the choco-rific Valentine's Day). But there is some truth to this joking...we all get so much sugary loot, that there's almost TOO much candy. I know, I know, some of you may shake your head, thinking, "C'mon, Heather, there's no such thing as too much candy!" 

But, if, for whatever reason, you find yourself with more little morsels than you'd like to have, well, here are some ideas as to what to do with them!

-- Take it to your local fire or police station. Bag it up with a nice little bow, maybe a thank you note from the kids and, walk it down to those folks that keep us all safe. Some treats are always appreciated.

-- Save it for gingerbread house-making. Maybe think outside the box when it comes to this year's gingerbread house assembly. Stash the candy stash out of site til December and then put it to good use.

-- Use it in another yummy way. I found two drool-worthy recipes that can use up the sugary residents of the bottom of that bag:

Snickers Milkshakes from spoonforkbacon.com (I think you can also use Butterfingers or Kit Kats or some other little bars)

What you need:
15 fun sized snickers bars, chopped
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup chocolate sauce
2 tablespoons caramel sauce plus more for drizzling, optional
1 cup sweetened whipped cream

What you do:
Place 14 chopped snicker's bars in a blender along with the ice cream, milk, chocolate sauce, and caramel sauce (if using). Blend mixture for about 30 seconds/one minute or until desired consistency has been achieved. Divide milkshake into glasses and top with whipped cream. Finish with a sprinkle of chopped snickers and a drizzle of caramel sauce (if using). Serve.

Candy Corn and Pretzel Bark from RealSimple.com

What you need:
1/2 pound of white chocolate, chopped
1 cup mini pretzels
1/2 cup candy corn
1/3 cup dried cranberries

What you do:
Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment, leaving an overhang on 2 sides. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring often. Spread the chocolate in the prepared pan and sprinkle with the pretzels, candy corn, and dried cranberries. Chill until firm, about 1 hour. Remove the bark from the pan and break into pieces. 

What do you do with your leftover candy? What is your favorite candy?

ŠiStockphoto.com/jenifoto

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

My DD's candy gets eaten.  She doesn't get tons of it and she eats a piece or two a day until it's gone.  I like Twix or Milky Way Simply Caramel.

MamaMandee
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM
We dont end up with a lot of extra but I have made Halloween bark.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM
DH brings it to work.
wandep
by Pam on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Sounds cool! Hubby usually takes it to his card buddies or to work.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:19 AM

OMG, the snickers milkshake is worth buying new candy for.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:42 AM

we store it and sometimes we freeze it

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Sounds good! I would like to make some in cookies or brownies!

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM

We usually just end up tossing it, but I'd really like to avoid that this year... Maybe I will try one of these desserts. I also saw that you can send leftover candy to troops overseas, so I want to look into that a little bit more as well.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:04 AM

The little one doesn't really like candy, except chocolate, and that she eats a piece or two a day, so the rest gets donated.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM

we don't really get candy as we do not do Halloween. Though my favorite candy lately has been Mounds

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)