Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Fun Turkey Crafts Ideas

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

This morning my five year old woke me up asking if we could start decorating for Thanksgiving, since Halloween is over. I said sure, but then she came back 15 minutes later saying she could not find the decorations anywhere. Well, that's because we don't have any! Luckily, I happen to know several fun, simple crafty ways to make some turkey decorations with kids. Here's how:

To make a small, very quick turkey, just place one hand flat on a piece of paper, fingers slightly separated so you can draw around each one, with a pencil or maker. Remove your hand from the page, make a line across the bottom of the hand image (that's the belly), add some stick legs below, and put and eye and beak where the thumb was. (You can add the little red thing that hangs under the chin too). TADA! There's your little bird! Your kids can make their own, or color yours. If you have stick-on googlie eyes that works well for this. They can color in the feathers (which were your 4 longer fingers,) or cut out long tear-drop shapes from colored paper which they can glue on there instead, to look even more feather-like and make your craft project last longer!

Another simple way to make a turkey with your kids is to use a paper plate. That's the body. Then they can tape or glue on legs, made from twigs or pipe cleaners, or even plastic straws. To make the neck and head, just cut a P shape out of paper or another plate, and stick it on. As feathers, you can use pieces of felt, construction paper, colorful leaves you pick up (the long almond-shaped yellow ones around here and the purple leaves of a plum tree work perfectly for this), stickers, or colorful craft feathers which are sold in bags at art stores. To make an extra large turkey, just cut out a large circle of paper or cardboard as the body and proceed as for the above.

I also saw another really cute Thanksgiving craft and decoration idea online the other day. You take a plastic or paper cup, wrap it in black construction paper and then make a belt out of tin foil up around the rim. Flip it over and it looks just like a funny Pilgim's hat for your holiday table.

Do you have any Thanksgiving craft ideas to share? How do you decorate for this family holiday?

© iStockphoto.com/ GlobalP

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:30 AM

I've mostly crocheted my decorations..But now doing plastic canvas..I also have "Thanksgiving Ideas" on pinterest... 

wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Friday at 7:03 PM
by Pam on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I don't really have any turkey crafts. We just decorate very little for Thanksgiving. I will buy some new table cloths since I will be having Thanksgiving at my house this year. I do have some garland leaves on top of the piano and a few signs out with harvest carved on them. 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

We do the pine cones. Put feathers on them and googly eyes to make them look like turkeys

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I want to make this wreath.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM

TFS

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM

That is adorable!

Quoting lalasmama2007:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM
We don't usually decorate for Thanksgiving, but a few turkey crafts might be fun. Thanks for the idea!
twisted_tongue
by New Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Nice! I think I'll try it too!

Quoting lalasmama2007:

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
We still make turkeys out of paper plates and construction paper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Quoting mrswillie:

We still make turkeys out of paper plates and construction paper.

I remember these

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN