Group Home

Smarter Shopping: Stock Up on Pantry Items For Thanksgiving

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

Thanksgiving is coming up fast and before you know it, me, you and everyone we know will be scrambling around local markets with our long shopping lists trying to find everything we need, not forget anything important and get it all done before it's sold out. One simple way to make your life easier, as you plan for the holiday and large meal ahead, is to stock up NOW on all pantry items you might need. Even if there are some you don't end up using for your Thanksgiving meal, you'll probably use them some other day this winter and as they are not perishable, they can last in your pantry a long time without needing to worry about wasting. I'm cooking this year, for the third or fourth time in a row, so I'm getting better at thinking ahead and knowing what I'll make. We have a bunch of food-allergy related restrictions too, from 3 of the 5 or 6 people who will be at our table, so I NEED to be sure I get what's safe before it sells out. Here's what's on my Thanksgiving pantry list:

-Many cans of pumpkin purree (I can use this for soup, pie, muffins, bread and many other things because it's a great egg-substitute as well as being a focal point of any Thanksgiving meal).

-Chicken stock

-Dried cranberries

-Gluten and egg-free frozen piecrusts

-Tea, coffee and allergen free cookies

-Ice cream

-Dried mushrooms

-Dried cranberries, raisins, apricots and plums (for stuffing and / or baked goods)

-Flour (and gluten free flour), sugar, butter, baking soda and baking powder and other basic baking needs

-Tin foil and plastic wrap (for food storage for things I make ahead)

-Nice olive oil and red wine vinegar and mustard (for sauces, marinades and dressings)

-Spices that we usually use like nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, sea salt, and pepper

-cranberry juice, apple cider, wine and beer

-onions, shallots and garlic

Since Thanksgiving is this month, I will also put the following refrigerated items on my list for next week, checking expiration dates so I can be sure they will last through the end of the month, which they usually do, since I know for sure I'll need them:

-heavy cream, butter, maple syrup, bacon

And for the week before Thanksgiving:

-Milk, apples, squash, fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage and mint

This way, there will be very little really fresh things like salad, corn and other produce, and the actual turkey, which I need to get the week of the holiday. Splitting up my shopping list helps me stay calm, get everything done and hopefully will allow me to enjoy my holiday with my family all the more. I can't wait!

What other pantry items do you stock up on before the holiday grocery rush begins?

© iStockphoto.com/marekuliasz

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM

spices..other than that I'm a last minute shopper.

pamelax3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I always make sure on flour, sugar and frozen fruits for pies and breads

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Seasonings, spices, cranberries.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I usually just stock up on baking supplies.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I do fresh cranberries and just freeze the bags.  Then they keep until you need them!  I'm a homemade pie crust person, but you can make ahead and freeze those as well, and Thanksgiving and Christmas are both great times to stock up on flour, butter, sugar, canned milk, and other baking staples. 

Sparkling cider is also on sale around the holidays, so stock up for all those times you want to have a little celebration at home.

Thanks for the tips!

fraujones
by Amanda on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Great list. You covered most of them! 

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I don't really since I never cook thanksgiving dinner. I usually bring something easy like a salad or drinks cause I work that day

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Bulk sausage for stuffing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Thanks sounds interesting.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I've already started buying stuff for our dinner...I like to have pumpkin on hand anyway..Great list..Thanks for sharing...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie