Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Stocking Up for Bad Weather

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

Here, in my neck of the woods (the skyscraper woods, that is), we are talking about what it was like a year ago - in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Much has been improved, but folks still are struggling to get their lives back after impact of a weather disaster.

It always makes me think about other times when our lives are disrupted because of ol' Mother Nature. Even a small snowstorm can cancel school for a few days, and sheets of ice on the streets can mean you are inside for quite a bit of time. My parents and my sis live in the mountains and they all need to think about stocking that pantry, cupboard and freezer to be prepared for the upcoming months.

Here, in NYC, we are pretty lucky when snows hit. The streets are plowed often and so much is within walking distance, we don't have to worry as much, but I'm still doing a little bit of stashing and planning ahead, just to be on the safe side. Here's what this little city chipmunk is stocking up on for the winter:

-- Pasta and pasta sauce

-- Canned beans and rice

-- Extra ground beef/meat/chicken in the freezer

-- Frozen veggies

-- Shredded cheese

-- Chili making ingredients (beans, canned tomatoes, ground beef, seasonings...because who doesn't love chili on a chilly day?)

-- Extra paper towels and napkins

-- Wine and beer

-- Ketchup (because the kiddo just loves that tomato-red condiment)

-- Frozen feel-good munchies (think chicken nuggets and little appetizers that can make being cooped up inside a little more tolerable)

-- A bag or two of sweets (I mean, c'mon, we need to have some chocolate or something)

-- Microwave popcorn (for those movie marathons)

What do you stock up on when it turns colder outside? Do you get snowed in much during the winter?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Dreef  

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM

We aren't planners like that. So if we would get hit with a storm right before payday, we'd be screwed. LOL

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Don't remind me, LOL
Water , milk & bread ..
Sadly yes we get snow & ice & freezing temps here ;(

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I live in South Florida, so we are generally stocked all the time especially during hurrican season, which is nearly 6 months anyway.

alf2651
by Amanda on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Canned goods, pasta, milk, bread, meat, veggies and fruits and a few other things. 

I was just talking to DH about how we should start stocking up to prepare for winter. We've heard that we're supposed to get a doozy this year. I just hope it's nothing like 2009, where I was literally snowed into my house for three days with my elderly aunt and my grandmother. I told my husband that if that happened it was going to turn into The Shining real quick in my house, lol.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:28 AM

We've never had to worry about getting snowed in...However we have moved a bit further up the mountain..So we have no idea what to expect...That's why NO LIVESTOCK til we know how the winter's are gonna go...I do wish I had my greenhouse tho... 

2Gs
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:52 AM

I just joinec a freezer meals club and will have 8-10 meals rotating in the freezer all winter.

I find just planning shopping around the weather to be the way to go...

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:02 AM
We always try to stay stocked. You put money in the bank. Why not put food in the pantry.

I didn't see toilet paper on there :) and we always keep a month or more of shampoo and the like as well.
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:47 AM

It doesn't snow where I live so I don't have to worry too much. Also I have 4WD and learned how to drive in real snow, so even if we got a freak "Snow" storm here I'd be fine.

"Snow" where I currently live is an inch MAYBE. Snow to me is a foot or more. Less than a foot, I'm not even changing out of my flip flops.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM

It only gets to freezing here maybe 5 times a year.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Quoting lil_mama06:

We've never had to worry about getting snowed in...However we have moved a bit further up the mountain..So we have no idea what to expect...That's why NO LIVESTOCK til we know how the winter's are gonna go...I do wish I had my greenhouse tho... 

I bet its gorgeous in the mountains!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)