Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: Getting Ready for Winter

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

We have a few blankets, one is a favorite of Kiddo's...she calls it Snuggle Blanket and it sits out on the couch every single day. But lately, it's been getting cooler here and the heat hasn't quite kicked in yet...which means not only does she pull Snuggle Blanket up, but also the other green blanket that's often tossed on the back of the couch (alas, this one doesn't really have a name other than The Other Blanket).

The reason I'm thinking about blankets? Because I just went in search of all of our other blankets, to have them at the ready for bedtimes when the chill factor hits low digits and our toes get a little nippy. Earlier this week, we were chatting about how to get that cupboard and freezer stocked for the winter...finding blankets is one thing to get the rest of the house cold-weather-ready. What else is on the list?

-- Locate and check over fire extinguishers. With the increased use of heaters and fireplaces, this is prime house fire season. Make sure your fire extinguishers are handy and in good shape.

-- Replace the batteries in the smoke detector and the carbon monoxide detector. Both of these small gadgets do big things in terms of keeping your family safe. Test them, and if you can't remember when you replaced the batteries, go ahead and switch them now. Don't have a carbon monoxide detector? Go and get one stat.

-- Test the windows for leaks. You can really wrack up a big heating bill when you have air leaks in those windows. An easy way to test is to have someone on the outside with a hairdryer and you with a candle on the inside -- if the candle flickers as the dryer is pointed to the windows, you have an air leak.

-- Clean that chimney. Nothing says the holidays like a roaring fire...but only If that chimney is working properly. Have an expert come in at least once a year to check over the health of your chimney.

-- Stock up the car. When you aren't at home, you are most likely in your car. Get all of those winter items you may need while on the winter roads: ice scrapers, flares, possibly hand warmers, an extra blanket and other emergency items you will need just in case you get stranded when it is really cold out. Take it in for a tune-up to be sure it's all in decent condition before winter hits.

Is your home ready for winter? What do you do to prepare your home and car?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Smitt 

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Not much our heaters come on automatically. Our cars are always parked in the garage we never need snow tires.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM

We are ready as we'll ever be,
Flashlights with batteries, candles & blankets ;)

alf2651
by Amanda on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:24 AM

We definitely stock up the car. We live in the mountains and a couple of times DH has gotten stuck in the car on the roads out here. We also make sure to have plenty of kerosene at home (that's what our heater runs on) and stock up on food in case it snows. 

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:24 AM

We don't do anything....we live in Florida. LOL

mackiebugsmom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM
We are in Michigan, I've prepped for the cold the last month, lol
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Quoting wandep:

We don't do anything....we live in Florida. LOL

Same here

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM

We have our central heat/air unit checked every spring and late fall.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM

We are mostly ready. We cleaned the pellet stove and chimney last month, and we've been running it quite a bit lately. The biggest thing we need to do is to cover our windows with the plastic wrap.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM

we keep blankets on hand, and i need to put one in the car for that just in case this new car breaks down, i keep water in there too....around the house i make sure the kids have their warm footies and they have lots of blankies!

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM

We clean out the chimney and the stove, split wood and kindling and stack wood and kindling, and order a load of logs every summer and fall so that we can be prepared.  Last year we also bought a pellet stove, which is amazing for normal fall/winter days (we still use the big wood stove when it's really chilly), so we bought a couple of pallets of pellets to be prepared. 

This past year we also finished replacing the last of our windows - we have been replacing a few at a time for the past few years, and re-sided the house with a layer of foam insulation under the new siding.  We finished the last of the interior walls except for the kitchen, gutting and putting in new insulation and walls. 

I do need to buy a snow/ice brush for the car.  Mine seems to disappear every year!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN