10 Things I Only Do Around the House When Company Comes Over

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 35 Replies

10 Things I Only Do Around the House When Company Comes Over

posted by Jill Smokler 

Last week, I was innocently wasting time on Twitter when there was an unexpected knock at the door. The mailman? No. Jehovah's Witnesses? Nope. Girl Scouts? Think again.

It was a friend -- a real life friend -- popping by unexpectedly for a visit. She happened to be in the neighborhood and thought she'd stop by to say hello. Is that ok, she asked? Sure, I nervously laughed. Come on in. It's not that I was unhappy to see her -- not at all. It was that all I could think the whole time was "OMG, what if she needs to use the bathroom and when the hell was the last time I cleaned it?" 

Fortunately, she left pretty soon after and did not have to use the restroom during those endless 15 minutes. But the experience got me thinking about all the things I scurry to do when preparing to entertain and how it might be a good idea to start doing them on a regular basis. Things like ...

1. Put my shoes away. It makes so much more sense just to keep a pair (or seven) by the front door, doesn't it? But it doesn't make for the nicest welcome, especially the way my son's shoes smell these days.

2. Stock the fridge. Somehow I do manage to feed my family, but if you come by unexpectedly and want anything to drink other than 1% milk or tap water, you'll be shit out of luck. Maybe there's a rogue juice box ... somewhere.

3. Light a candle. The smell of vanilla sticks or lavender fields is so much more pleasant than the combination of dog, kids, and whatever I cooked last. 

4. Make the bed. I mean, really, what's the point? The sheets just get messed up the next night anyway.

5. Wipe down the counters. Because that sticky substance just somehow feels like home.

6Put my pills away. Not everyone needs my pack of birth control pills staring them back from smack dab in the middle of the table. Except me. I really, really need that reminder.

7. Shut the nightstand drawers. Because whatever's in there should never see the light of day.

8. Put the clean laundry away ... or at least hide it. Who needs a dresser anyway when you can just pull everything you need off the couch? Oh, I'm sorry ... you wanted to sit there?

9. Shower.do shower daily ... I just usually do it at night, which means if you come by at 3 p.m., there's a mighty good chance I'll be wearing what I have been in since yesterday.

10. Clean the bathroom. With all of the games my boys like to play, I can't for the life of me understand why "Pee IN the Toilet" has never taken off. It's like darts, but with urine! Why aren't they up for the challenge?

So, did I learn my lesson and scrub the toilets after my friend left? Of course not; I had things to do on Twitter. Besides, who wants to encourage unexpected visitors, anyway? Definitely not me.

Can you relate?

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I can totally relate, but I almost always have a candle lit :)

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I don't have company coming over unless, it's one of my cousins or my dad and the only thing I make sure is clean, is the bathroom, because sometimes one of my kids forget the flush the toilet.  But, everthing else is where it should be.  As for #2, company is free to help themselves to beverages or food, but they should know there's no meat, except for the occasional "Lunchables" for my kids.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Yes!  I do like a good candle every now and then.  In fact, I have one on today and no one is coming over lol

Marisol1106
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I always have a wax warmer on to keep the house smelling good and I have a basket next to the door filled with one pair of shoes of each member of the family. They are sneakers to go out in and play in (we live on a farm). Going out shoes are put away in closets in the bedrooms. I can relate to fridge being stocked. I have it stocked just enough for us not for company but I can whip something up if I had to. Everything else is always done because I'm anal and don't want my house turned up side own in case a unexpected guest pops in. But, this does not include having toys splattered here and there in each room of the house. I have kids..two of which are toddlers (twins) so they going to play with toys everywhere. Lastly, I shower but hang out in sweats or pjs unless I'm going out or know someone is coming over. I do not get dressed up and put makeup on just because.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I do most of these daily, but we do some extra cleaning when company comes over

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I can relate to most of these... I definitely have a different standard for when company comes over.

But I am super OCD about the bathroom... I clean it twice a week, company or no! So I would replace that with "mop the floors"... I really only do a full mopping when we're going to have guests!

fraujones
by Amanda on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I'm bad about putting away clean laundry. 

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM

This.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Yes!  I do like a good candle every now and then.  In fact, I have one on today and no one is coming over lol

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I sure can!

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I love candles :) I went to my friends house the other night and she had a bunch lit, IMO it's so cozy and inviting. I realized that I don't have any! I have a Scentsy burner that I like and little tea lights, but I need to get some more scented jar candles.

Quoting Wish2Be:

I can totally relate, but I almost always have a candle lit :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: