Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 Things I Only Do Around the House When Company Comes Over

Posted by   + Show Post

10 Things I Only Do Around the House When Company Comes Over

posted by Jill Smokler 

Last week, I was innocently wasting time on Twitter when there was an unexpected knock at the door. The mailman? No. Jehovah's Witnesses? Nope. Girl Scouts? Think again.

It was a friend -- a real life friend -- popping by unexpectedly for a visit. She happened to be in the neighborhood and thought she'd stop by to say hello. Is that ok, she asked? Sure, I nervously laughed. Come on in. It's not that I was unhappy to see her -- not at all. It was that all I could think the whole time was "OMG, what if she needs to use the bathroom and when the hell was the last time I cleaned it?" 

Fortunately, she left pretty soon after and did not have to use the restroom during those endless 15 minutes. But the experience got me thinking about all the things I scurry to do when preparing to entertain and how it might be a good idea to start doing them on a regular basis. Things like ...

1. Put my shoes away. It makes so much more sense just to keep a pair (or seven) by the front door, doesn't it? But it doesn't make for the nicest welcome, especially the way my son's shoes smell these days.

2. Stock the fridge. Somehow I do manage to feed my family, but if you come by unexpectedly and want anything to drink other than 1% milk or tap water, you'll be shit out of luck. Maybe there's a rogue juice box ... somewhere.

3. Light a candle. The smell of vanilla sticks or lavender fields is so much more pleasant than the combination of dog, kids, and whatever I cooked last. 

4. Make the bed. I mean, really, what's the point? The sheets just get messed up the next night anyway.

5. Wipe down the counters. Because that sticky substance just somehow feels like home.

6Put my pills away. Not everyone needs my pack of birth control pills staring them back from smack dab in the middle of the table. Except me. I really, really need that reminder.

7. Shut the nightstand drawers. Because whatever's in there should never see the light of day.

8. Put the clean laundry away ... or at least hide it. Who needs a dresser anyway when you can just pull everything you need off the couch? Oh, I'm sorry ... you wanted to sit there?

9. Shower.do shower daily ... I just usually do it at night, which means if you come by at 3 p.m., there's a mighty good chance I'll be wearing what I have been in since yesterday.

10. Clean the bathroom. With all of the games my boys like to play, I can't for the life of me understand why "Pee IN the Toilet" has never taken off. It's like darts, but with urine! Why aren't they up for the challenge?

So, did I learn my lesson and scrub the toilets after my friend left? Of course not; I had things to do on Twitter. Besides, who wants to encourage unexpected visitors, anyway? Definitely not me.

Can you relate?

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Replies (31-35):
mom2jessnky
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Can't relate to this at all. I'm not a slob.

I don't understand people that claim to not have time to do basic things they SHOULD be doing. If you don't have time to keep your house and self presentable, you don't have time for twitter and tv.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Shut all the bedroom doors.

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM

ah yes LOL

mom23heathens
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM
it just seems easier to clean as you go doesn't it? it only takes a few seconds to pick up a stray item and put it away especially if you're walking that way anyway. I have you been trained my kids to do this, take your socks with you when you go back to your room. if I go into the bathroom to use it, and I see something dirty like toothpaste in the sink it only takes a few seconds to rinse it out of the sink is I'm washing my hands. the only thing I'm not diligent about is making the beds. my best friend and neighbor has such a horrible messy house and I just can't understand why. we both have 3 kids very close in age and we both stay at home while our kids are at school all day and our husbands are at work. she always hangs at my house because my house is always clean and she says more comfortable and relaxed and her house is such a mess she's embarrassed to have me there. I just don't get it. I asked her if she has her kids do chores? she said no, but it's easier to do it herself because they don't want to do it and she has to nag them.

Quoting jconney80:

This is how I am. I can't say that my laundry is always put away immediately but we don't leave it sit long. I vacuum every day. I pick up every day.

Quoting mom23heathens:

On any given day an unexpected guest would see my house as it always is, clean. i do everything as i go as needed. i wash dishes as i go, cleaning as i cook. i clean the bathroom daily and fix anything out of sorts every time i go in there. i vacuum daily and sustain something everyday. as i see it i clean it or pick it up. everything is put away as soon as its done being used and i fold laundry as i take it out of the dryer and its put away immediately. the only thing I don't do all the time is my appt. I'm up the floor when I look down one day and it just looks wrong or my Socos stick to it. about once a week. i have specific day for washing the bedding and mopping, etc.
MrsRobinson06
by Amy on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM

So true!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)