Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Embracing Her Style with Bongo

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM
  • 64 Replies

Just in the last year or so, my nine year old daughter, Piper, has taken an interest in her own personal fashion. For instance, I used to be able to bring home clothes to her that I liked and selected without her, and she would wear them without too much opinion or fuss.

But she’s getting older (nine this month!), and her appearance is of a growing importance to her. From her shirt to her accessories, all the way down to the side ponytail braid - it matters. 

As a mom, this is both exciting and nerve wracking. I love seeing her grow and mature into a beautiful little girl, but then again all the style choices and fashion decisions can be a bit overwhelming. 

Recently I took her to shop for a few new pieces at Kmart - a store I love for so many reasons, but particularly because of their cute and affordable clothing selection. 

A few super fun pieces we snagged on our trip: 

Bongo Junior’s Belted Lace Tunic. Piper was instantly drawn to this beautiful belted lace tunic. Me on the other hand? I wasn’t so sure - it just looked like such a grownup piece! But when she tried it on - I quickly realized she was right all along. The tunic is a fantastic layering piece - and she’s been wearing it over all different color tanks.

Bongo Junior’s Faux Leather Leggings. Ok, Piper and I both loved these leggings - but for different reasons. She adores them because they look “rocker” - and I love them because they go with so much that’s already in her closet. Oh, and they’re only $10!

Bongo Junior’s Infinity Scarf. We saw the selection of scarfs as we were heading to the changing rooms. Accessories are my personal favorite way to inexpensively “change up” my wardrobe - and I thought it would be fun if Piper started collecting a few of her own. Infinity scarfs are super popular right now - and the bright colors and bold prints Kmart offered didn’t disappoint!

This shopping with my daughter thing is a learning process. I’m slowly learning about her style, and embracing the choices and selections she makes. And you know what? The Bongo line at Kmart really gets my Seal of Approval.

How about you? Does your personal style match up with your kid's fashion sense?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM

oh boy.. mine is only 7 and she decides what she wants to wear, we have a very different style and sometimes I get a little upset because things that I would like her to wear she wont like them... but then I remember she is not a mini me, she is her own person and i let her, deep down I like her style :)

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I like the tunic (with something under it) and I'm sure my girls would too (though I know at least one of them would be trying to sneak by without the under layer).

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM

My dd and I match up pretty well. She has alot of my clothes, just several sizes smaller.

timon95
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM

i agree, i like it too, with something underneath it

Quoting TigerofMu:

I like the tunic (with something under it) and I'm sure my girls would too (though I know at least one of them would be trying to sneak by without the under layer).

family car

timon95
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM

she likes some of the things i pick out. she has her own style and taste. i usually let her pick most of her clothes out now, as long as the price is within reason.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Quoting timon95:

i agree, i like it too, with something underneath it

Quoting TigerofMu:

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Oh i have two boys and i just make sure they look nice and arent dirty LOL they are too hard to try to dress up i am lucky they keep their clothes on LOL

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM
No, my DD's taste and mine are very different.
sukainah
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

My kids let me pick out their clothes.  They're boys and just wear jeans and shirts and they're good with that.

la_bella_vita
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Yes, we match up well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)