Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebration: Being Thankful This Season, and Always

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

Thanksgiving might be my favorite holiday, for several reasons. The food is delicious, family always gets together to enjoy each other, and instead of needing to stress about buying and wrapping and shipping and giving gifts for everyone in your life, it's really just all about remembering what we have, being thankful for this, and appreciating and enjoying life, with our loved ones. It's a holiday with a great, historically important story behind it, a story not defined by one religion or another, but just all-inclusive. In fact, it's the only holiday I can think of with these qualities other than New Year's eve, but that just celebrates new beginnings, and endings, and not a state of being or a way of feeling or thinking, so much.

Anyway, what I like as well about Thanksgiving is that it's a great way-a cheerful, holiday way-to help teach our little ones about being thankful and appreciating what they have. I don't know about your kids, but mine is really all about "I want," "I need," and "more, more, more," these days, and it wears me down and even frustrates me, often. I'm looking forward to using this holiday coming up, and the meal we will prepare together, and the home we will decorate nicely together, and the family we will welcome and enjoy together, as great ways to re-emphasize the importance of being thankful to my child, and for pointing out to her how this feeling brings joy and peace to a person and a home, instead of frustration, anger, and a sense of loss, when someone only thinks about what they don't have, or focuses on needing or wanting more, all the time.

And, inspired by a great children's book called Thanks for Thanksgiving, by Julie Markes and Doris Barrette, I'm going to encourage my child to write down or draw five things she's thankful for this holiday season (because she just turned 5), and I'm going to frame that puppy and hang it where she can see it often, and we can revisit it and enjoy it, all the days of the year.

What are you thankful for, and how do you encourage this sentiment in your little children?

© iStockphoto.com/selensergen

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the tradition of going around the dining room table at Thanksgiving and everyone gives 1 thing s/he's thankful for.

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

We are thankful everyday for all the good and great things in our lives.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the idea of writing or drawing something tangible. This is something I'm having a really hard time with lately, as my son is very much in the "I want I want" phase. :-/

alf2651
by Amanda on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I like going around the table and each person says what they're thankful for. Same with talking with DD about things she's thankful for as well.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

We're thankful all the time. Before our thanksgiving meal usually the men of the family will give thanks for us. Usually its my uncle since he is a pastor. Its very sweet.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

We tell each other one thing we are thankful for daily...Then we had a thankful tree/prayer tree..When our prayers were answered we'd put on a flower...

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Thankful I have this time with my kids

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I like this too!

Quoting Juniper53098:

I like the tradition of going around the dining room table at Thanksgiving and everyone gives 1 thing s/he's thankful for.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I am thankful for my family and all that we have.  We try to encourage our children to help those less fortunate than we are by donating to the local soup kitchen and giving to Christmas charities through our homeschool group.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Quoting bether89:

I am thankful for my family and all that we have.  We try to encourage our children to help those less fortunate than we are by donating to the local soup kitchen and giving to Christmas charities through our homeschool group.

Thats very sweet!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)