Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Keeping Healthy During Holiday Season

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

We've already had our first bout with sneezies this season. Kiddo's lasted on and off for about a week. Mine? Two weeks before I went and got some antibiotics for a sinus infection. Already at her school? Tummy flu and strep throat. It is not fun, being sick. It's not fun having a sick kiddo and it is really not fun being a sick mama trying to care for a sick (or healthy) kid. Time to really get serious about doing those little things to keep your whole family a little healthier this winter season.

-- Get a flu shot. I know, I know, you hear it all of the time, but trust me, it's one of the best steps you can take. You may still get the flu, but it will be drastically less severe than if you don't have the shot.

-- Wash your hands. Post signs around the house to remind you to wash your hands often...and really wash them. Count to 60 while scrubbing with that soap and warm water.

-- Keep fingernails short. Germs and dirt hang out underneath those fingernails, so keep them trimmed and washed throughout the season.

-- Carry a pen. Instead of using that pen at the checkout counter or from the pizza delivery dude, use your own pen. Same goes for the kids: when out to eat, bring your own crayons and markers so they don't use those that have been touched by every other kid in your town.

-- Drink water. You may not think about it as much during the colder months, but your body is more susptible to getting ill when it is dehydrated.

-- Switch out toothbrushes. Toss out the old and get a new one more often than you usually do. Bacteria and other nasties take up residence there. Especially toss them out after having a cold or the flu.

-- Wipe down that remote. Get into a habit of wiping down the remote control and the doorknobs, the cabinet handles, the phone, everywhere folks touch on a regular basis. It's often forgotten about, but those are huge hangouts for viruses and germs.

Have you gotten a flu shot yet? When was the last time you cleaned the remote control? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ arcady_31                    

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:56 AM

I did get my flu shot. And the kids are going this Sat to get the mist.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM

I never get flu shots.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM

No flu shots here...

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM

We dont get flu shots

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:18 AM
We dont do shots in general but i like the remote idea
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM

My youngest and I got sick this weekend.  The day that our family got their flu shots, we went down with vomiting, fevers, and other assorted maladies.

I absolutely agree that washing your hands is essential and so is drinking water!

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM

We don't get the flu shots. We load up on green smoothies and it's been great for us.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

We do not get the flu shot for personal reasons .. and since the baby has started chewing on the remote it gets cleaned a few times a day !!

wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Yesterday at 7:03 PM
by Pam on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Yes, I always get my flu shot. I have an autoimmune disease and my arthritis doctor makes me take one every year.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM

yes we all have it except for the baby i want to talk to his Doctor more about it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN