Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Keeping Healthy During Holiday Season

Posted by   + Show Post

We've already had our first bout with sneezies this season. Kiddo's lasted on and off for about a week. Mine? Two weeks before I went and got some antibiotics for a sinus infection. Already at her school? Tummy flu and strep throat. It is not fun, being sick. It's not fun having a sick kiddo and it is really not fun being a sick mama trying to care for a sick (or healthy) kid. Time to really get serious about doing those little things to keep your whole family a little healthier this winter season.

-- Get a flu shot. I know, I know, you hear it all of the time, but trust me, it's one of the best steps you can take. You may still get the flu, but it will be drastically less severe than if you don't have the shot.

-- Wash your hands. Post signs around the house to remind you to wash your hands often...and really wash them. Count to 60 while scrubbing with that soap and warm water.

-- Keep fingernails short. Germs and dirt hang out underneath those fingernails, so keep them trimmed and washed throughout the season.

-- Carry a pen. Instead of using that pen at the checkout counter or from the pizza delivery dude, use your own pen. Same goes for the kids: when out to eat, bring your own crayons and markers so they don't use those that have been touched by every other kid in your town.

-- Drink water. You may not think about it as much during the colder months, but your body is more susptible to getting ill when it is dehydrated.

-- Switch out toothbrushes. Toss out the old and get a new one more often than you usually do. Bacteria and other nasties take up residence there. Especially toss them out after having a cold or the flu.

-- Wipe down that remote. Get into a habit of wiping down the remote control and the doorknobs, the cabinet handles, the phone, everywhere folks touch on a regular basis. It's often forgotten about, but those are huge hangouts for viruses and germs.

Have you gotten a flu shot yet? When was the last time you cleaned the remote control? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ arcady_31                    

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM

We don't do flu shots. I like the idea of carrying your own pen, though... Although it doesn't help for the electronic credit card pads. But some of these tips are definitely worth considering.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Thanks for the tips

fraujones
by Amanda on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM

tfs. I haven't got the flu shot. I usually don't. 

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

We do not do flu shots. I'm about to be 41 and have never had a flu shot and I have never had the flu.

I believe in a good diet, drastic reduction in sugar intake, lots of water, washing hands, plenty of sleep, fresh air, exercise and either a glass of vitamin c water or Emergen-C before bed-time.

So far my son has been pretty healthy. One minor cold...if I could even call it that. So far, so good...we are on the right track! Knock on wood.

Oh and I tell my son, that the reason I never really get sick, is because I drink a ton of water and stay hydrated. :)

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I avoid mall play areas and other public playgrounds like the plague when we have plans coming up in 5-7 days.  I also avoid going to celebrations if I know someone invited is sick! I've been known to bow out last minute if someone mentions their kids had the flu in the past 10 days!!

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

no flu shot for me thanks

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Usually don't, DH has work mandatory flu shots. But we all did this year.
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I usually wipe down the door handles and switches, remotes.
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM

We don't do flu shots.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:35 PM

we don't do flu shots in my family.  i've had too many family members; sisters, nieces & nephews that have had reactions to it.

working in the cafeteria at an elementary school i am washing my hands constantly throughout the day though.  don't think germs could live on my hands during the school year if they wanted to! ;o)

we use more wipes at home during the winter, for doorknobs & such.

we pretty much drink nothing but water anytime of year.

i do carry around pens, pencils & crayons with me, also year round, just to keep the kids from driving me nuts. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)