Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Keeping Healthy During Holiday Season

Posted by   + Show Post

We've already had our first bout with sneezies this season. Kiddo's lasted on and off for about a week. Mine? Two weeks before I went and got some antibiotics for a sinus infection. Already at her school? Tummy flu and strep throat. It is not fun, being sick. It's not fun having a sick kiddo and it is really not fun being a sick mama trying to care for a sick (or healthy) kid. Time to really get serious about doing those little things to keep your whole family a little healthier this winter season.

-- Get a flu shot. I know, I know, you hear it all of the time, but trust me, it's one of the best steps you can take. You may still get the flu, but it will be drastically less severe than if you don't have the shot.

-- Wash your hands. Post signs around the house to remind you to wash your hands often...and really wash them. Count to 60 while scrubbing with that soap and warm water.

-- Keep fingernails short. Germs and dirt hang out underneath those fingernails, so keep them trimmed and washed throughout the season.

-- Carry a pen. Instead of using that pen at the checkout counter or from the pizza delivery dude, use your own pen. Same goes for the kids: when out to eat, bring your own crayons and markers so they don't use those that have been touched by every other kid in your town.

-- Drink water. You may not think about it as much during the colder months, but your body is more susptible to getting ill when it is dehydrated.

-- Switch out toothbrushes. Toss out the old and get a new one more often than you usually do. Bacteria and other nasties take up residence there. Especially toss them out after having a cold or the flu.

-- Wipe down that remote. Get into a habit of wiping down the remote control and the doorknobs, the cabinet handles, the phone, everywhere folks touch on a regular basis. It's often forgotten about, but those are huge hangouts for viruses and germs.

Have you gotten a flu shot yet? When was the last time you cleaned the remote control? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ arcady_31                    

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I have not gotten the flu shot yet, but everyone else in my family has.

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Haven't gotten one yet, I will need to do that soon.  I definitely need to clean the remote.  lol

MargieGrooms
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:49 AM

i have to remind myself to wipe down things like my remote, car keys, purse lining, etc.......germs are so gross and its never fun to get sick. I am pregnate with my first baby and am more aware than ever of the dangers of nasty germs. ick!

MargieGrooms
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I did however get my first flu shot and so did my husband. I also change my toothbrushes every three months and keep a bottle of wipes in every room so i dont forget to disinfest surfaces. 

kierakelly
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:46 AM

I had the worst week last week.  Croup on Monday and a stomach virus on Friday.  Trying to keep healthy seems impossible with a child in daycare.  Trying to keep his hands clean and I always have sanitizer nearby.

lasombrs
by Sara on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:18 AM
We don't do flu shots and I only clean the remote when the kids spill something all over it
Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Flu shots are only about 50% (a little more, but not 60%, I just can't remember the actual number) effective.  So, no, I do not get one, and neither do my kids.  I boost my immune system by eating whole foods, drinking elderberry syrup, and if I am sick, taking echinacea.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

we dont do flu shots. it doesnt protect against every strain of the flu, and each year there is a manic craze to get it. i dont get it but to each their own.

we use lysol wipes on door handles, knobs, bathrooms, etc

change toothbrushes every few months

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Good tips. Right now all three kids have colds. It is tough

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:20 PM

No flu shot yet, I have not cleaned the remote.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)