Smarter Shopping: New Holiday Books to Read This Season

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

I hate shopping for myself. There, I said it (or actually, I typed it, but you get what I'm saying). I know some of you out there love trips to the mall and discovering a new sweater or dress. Me? I loathe it...and due to some work stuff for my husband that I also have to attend, I've found myself having to shop for some new outfits. Not my idea of a good time, ladies. 

What do I love shopping for? Books. I could spend hours in the book section of stores. I've wasted a good afternoon (or eight) browsing the Amazon book page. The Strand here in NYC? Heaven on earth. Needless to say, when I was walking about trying to find that little black dress and I passed by a Barnes and Noble, I couldn't not go in. Fast-forward two hours, and I emerged with a few new reads, some for me and some great new titles for Kiddo all about the holidays. Check these ones out - pop by your local bookstore or see if your library has them, they are perfect to get in some reading time while keeping that holiday spirit wafting about the abode!

The Thankful Book by Todd Parr - With illustrations that can only come from Todd Parr, this wonderful book points out things big and small, items you can touch and ones only in our minds that we can all be thankful for...a perfect read to kick off a discussion of what you and your kiddos are thankful for this Turkey Day. 

Hanukkah Bear by Eric Kimmel - A reissue of the 1990 book "The Chanukah Guest" with a different title and new illustrations, the tale tells of how a bear wanders into an old lady's abode because of the wonderful scents steaming from her latkes. She believes the big bear is her rabbi and the cute case of mistaken identity is revealed. A sweet read to celebrate Hanukkah.

Tallulah's Nutcracker by Marilyn Singer - Tallulah is practicing so hard for her role in The Nutcracker, but when one mishap leads to many others, the performance is one no one expected. With adorable characters and great text, this Christmas book has a great lesson and is the ideal festive nighttime read for anyone who loves The Nutcracker.

Of course, I love all of my usual holiday favorites: Auntie Claus, Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree, and The Latke Who Wouldn't Stop Screaming -- pick those up if you don't have them!

What are the favorite holiday books you read with your kiddos?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Pogonici           

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM

This is my DD's favorite.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
T'was the Night Before Christmas, when they were young.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:15 AM

N ot  reading any with them now :)

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Thanks for sharing....I'll have to check these out... 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:47 AM

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I remember as a kid we would read all the Christmas little golden books. When my MOm was still here and we all got together for Christmas at her house we would have the younger kids read the books as everyone sat around. It was a special moment

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM

tyfs we have a charlie brown christmas book!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

we have a couple kids books with christmas themes and of course the Bible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: