Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: DIY Holiday Decorating Ideas

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

This holiday season I'm vowing to stick to a tight budget and not waste any money on fancy, expensive decorations of any kind. I've come to realize, as my kid's needs grow and become more costly, that while beautiful decorations are nice, they are so not necessary especially because they are used for such a short amount of time to spruce up your home. Also, although my child usually wants nothing to do with me when she's being creative and making any art at home, when it comes to the holidays, one of her favorite times of the year, she is actually thrilled to be able to help me make decorations for our home. Making holiday decorations with your kids is a really fun family activity, and it helps save money too. Here are a few suggestions to get started, and I hope you will share some of your own DIY decorating tips here too.

The first thing we have started enjoying making are pinecone decorations. We collect them on our walks to school through the park, and do few different fun and easy things with them. One is to just paint them in bright, shiny colors and hang them, either on a branch in a vase or using thumb tacks and string, from a window, for example. We also made a few that look like penguins, by just making little paper feet, a paper beak, using googly eye stickers and painting them. Those are on our table and are really cute too.

Another fun creative way to decorate with your kids for the holidays is to make garlands. You can make them out of just about anything, but what we have been enjoying the most so far is stringing different bright colored pompoms, of all sizes, onto long pieces of thread. We make them together, so I put a sewing needle on each end and we both add on at the same time. It's a fun, quiet activity that yields fast, festive results. We have strung one in the doorway to my girl's bedroom, one around a chandelier, and one in our living room under some tall bookshelves. They look great! We also are going to make some out of paper that spell out a festive message like "CHEERS" or " JOY" or "PEACE." That should look nice too.

We also enjoy making scented decorations for our home, using clementines, which we buy by the bag full, and pulling out any that look a little less than perfect for eating. Then we get whole cloves (you can buy a jar in the spice section of your market),and poke the pointy ends of these, like a little thumb tack, into the flesh of the fruit, so that the flower-shaped end of the clove is on the outside of the skin. You can make pretty rows of the cloves, or just poke them in the fruit anywhere. It looks nice and smells great too. You can also use a large orange and spell out a word with the cloves.

Do you have any fun, easy DIY holiday decorating ideas to share?

© iStockphoto.com/Ever  

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM
I saw a great Xmas tree made out of wire coat hangers I wish I had a pic but it was super cool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Great idea :)

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:56 AM

We will probably do some simple pinecone crafts too!

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:53 AM

My mom makes these.

If mine wasn't in the attic I'd take a picture of it, lol.

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I saw a great Xmas tree made out of wire coat hangers I wish I had a pic but it was super cool

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:14 AM

I finally got my year round tree..It sits in my 2nd living room corner and has my dotee dolls hanging on it..I need to make some thanksgiving ornaments/dolls to hang on it... 

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I would love to see this. Sounds neat.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM

love the star! a friend and i hot glued pine cones together and hung them up, last year

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We're going to make these Anthropologie Inspired Snow Globes, which I saw in another group here on CM. They are super easy, so DS will definitely be able to help put them together.

The picture will take you right to the website for anyone who is interested! :)

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:08 AM

My kids love to make things, so we do a lot of crafting.  I learned after losing two or three of my favorite ornaments that I just can't have a fancy tree until after my  kids are grown up and moved away, and I'd rather have their special ornaments instead!

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I want to paint my own Christmas ornaments....we'll see how it goes. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)