Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Staying Sane, and Happy, through the Holidays

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

The holidays are coming up very fast, and for many moms, that means more to do, longer lists, less rest and more stress (as if we didn't have enough of all that already!) There are a few things you can do though, if you think of it, to help yourself enjoy the holidays more this year, and make them less exhausting.

Staying sane through the holidays can be as simple as keeping three things in mind: 1) Plan ahead, way, way ahead (like starting now); 2) take people up on any offers to help you out, and if they don't, delegate things others can help with anyway. The holidays are a family affair, after all, and, you should not shoulder all or even most of the work yourself; and 3) make yourself make time to just sit down, relax, and enjoy your loved ones, no matter how much you feel you still have to do. That's what the holidays are for, after all: enjoying good company, celebrating each other, and taking time OFF from work and your daily grind. Everyone else is on vacation, and you can be too, at least a little tiny bit!

I have found that by taking the first step, which is planning way ahead, and really sticking to that, the other two steps fall into place more easily, and even naturally. If you have your meal plans and ingredients and shopping lists done early, not only can you stock up on stuff at your leisure, over time, but you can also check things off and delegate simple little things early on to others, too. Leaving thing to the last minute is when the stress really builds, for me, because then everyone is rushing, things are forgotten and people get upset.

By honoring the last step, which really takes nothing more that you making a point of sticking to it, you will be able to have more fun through the holidays but also to look back on them with more fond, warm memories to last all year, instead of just counting the days or minutes for it all to be over.

How do you stay sane, and happy, through the holidays?

© iStockphoto.com/deepblue4you

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IncognitoOne
by Angela on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't!!

I go crazy, and get wound up too tight. I go back to normal the minute we get home the night of Christmas, lol.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't sign up for stuff that will make me upset or stressed.  I actually tell my children no, and I don't go to things that I won't enjoy. I'm going to 2 Holiday Parties, the 2 I will enjoy. I finished shopping already (and it's all wrapped too!) so my kids can ask all day for stuff but they won't be getting it unless they ask for something I bought.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM

i get my shopping done early. do little things when i can and try not to rush..too much!

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Planning ahead is one of the biggest things.  FlyLady has a holiday control journal that really helps.  I don't use every single thing in it, but I adapt it to fit our family.  She's also got advice on how to make it a stress free holiday season.

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

It's very simple for me to stay stress free. I just avoid/ignore my inlaws! Other then that-I'm great :)

I make sure I get my down time,spend time with the kids and do what I love doing.

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Holidays are great... No stress here!

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Now thats a good question.. lol.. I dont know :)  this year what is making me insane is the lack of money and I dont know how we are going to make christmas work.. at least we were invited to an uncles house for thanksgiving (so we dont have to spend money cooking) and our supermarket will give us a free turkey (which will be our christmas dinner).  The kids will get one or two gifts this year and I told hubby not to get me anything, but if he wants he can do some repairs around the house and that will be my gift. 

As long as we are all together, healthy and loving each other I am good :)

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Usually I keep my cool by doing several small things at a time and saying to myself "it will be better.. it will be fine" :)

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

TFS

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I do this too. I hate hate rushing.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

i get my shopping done early. do little things when i can and try not to rush..too much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)