Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Mom, check out this outfit!"

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 137 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

This is what my son laid out to wear to kindergarten tomorrow... No special occasion, he just wanted to wear a tie. I did talk him out of wearing a track jacket as if it were a dressy sport coat, because I think it would get hot. Most of the time he chooses his own style, though.

What about your kids? At what age did/will they be responsible for choosing their own clothing? Do you set any parameters on what they can or cannot wear?
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM

DD has been in charge of her outfits since kindergarten maybe even before then. One time she wore shorts with leggings under them and a tshirt.  I always tell her teachers to email me if she wears something not appropriate.  I do not let her wear open toed shoes to school is my only rule nor her clogs.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I think it's a great way for kids to express their personalities and experiment a little bit, as long as they keep it appropriate. ;-)

How old is your DD now?

Btw, I also have a rule about not wearing open toed shoes to school... I think it should be in the dress code, but it isn't. At least we're past flip flop season now!

Quoting frndlyfn:

DD has been in charge of her outfits since kindergarten maybe even before then. One time she wore shorts with leggings under them and a tshirt.  I always tell her teachers to email me if she wears something not appropriate.  I do not let her wear open toed shoes to school is my only rule nor her clogs.

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM

She is in 2nd grade.  Grandma bought her a few outfits that she loves and they coordinate.  When i do laundry i try to piece outfits together for her in the drawers but almost everything is mix and match.  Some days she wants to dress up, other days wear sweats.  She is in the phase of hating jeans so it is leggings every day unless it is the other 2 options.

< ,<  last year dressed up for a field trip.

><< dress down day, the leggings were not holey when she went to school and switched shoes when she got home.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I think it's a great way for kids to express their personalities and experiment a little bit, as long as they keep it appropriate. ;-)

How old is your DD now?

Btw, I also have a rule about not wearing open toed shoes to school... I think it should be in the dress code, but it isn't. At least we're past flip flop season now!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I let them wear what they want.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM
CUTE! My kids usually dress themselves within reason :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

i think thats cute

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Looks great!

My kids did their own thong when they were young :)

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I've let my kids pick out what they want to wear since they were small...They have to dress for the season ...

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:54 AM
My 8 and 9 yo still can't pick out their own clothes. My 9 yo has down syndrome and for some reason even though he knows which pants drawer is his can never seem to grab his own pants. And my 8 yo is just lazy.
luvnature
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:08 AM

my kids always wore whatever they wanted. And they always chose their own clothes to wear.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)