"Mom, check out this outfit!"

Posted by   + Show Post

Mobile Photo

This is what my son laid out to wear to kindergarten tomorrow... No special occasion, he just wanted to wear a tie. I did talk him out of wearing a track jacket as if it were a dressy sport coat, because I think it would get hot. Most of the time he chooses his own style, though.

What about your kids? At what age did/will they be responsible for choosing their own clothing? Do you set any parameters on what they can or cannot wear?
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Replies (131-137):
SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM

aww cute

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:02 PM

that's one of the reasons our daughter doesn't have her ears pierced.  everyone expected me to do it when she was an infant since my husband is mexican & culturally they pierce infant girls ears, plus i have several piercings myself.  but i didn't think that was one decision i needed to make for my child.  she's 10 now & has no desire to get her ears pierced which makes me so glad i didn't decide to do it for her.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

This is exactly how I feel about the situation. And they have so little control over so many things, why not clothes as long as it's reasonable?

Quoting lizzig:

my kids have been picking out their outifts since they were 3.  i do have veto power of course but for the most part i let them express themselves with thier clothes.  may not always be what i'd want them to wear but they are their own person after all.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM

My oldest used to like to dress up but not as much anymore unless are going to church

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Lol yes it's track pants! He hates jeans and anything with a button and zipper. I've found some slacks with elastic waste bands. I encourage those over the track pants. I've also gotten him nicer shirts. I've found you can dress up the comfy clothes by pairing them with a nicer looking shirt. He also has focus issues and that's why I don't push the jeans. He'd have full focus on how uncomfortable he was and wouldn't concentrate on school.

I agree though. You feel how you dress.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

"No holes, follow the school rules." I really like that, because my son would be happy to wear holey jeans some days and I am just not ok with that.

How old is your youngest? My son would really like to wear ratty track pants every day, but we've been trying to encourage him to wear clothes that are just a *touch* nicer for school. I think it affects his mindset if he puts just a little bit of effort into it, and he does have a hard time paying attention and staying focused.

When I was in HS, I dressed a lot like it sounds your DD does. Oh wait... I still dress that way as an adult. :)

Quoting MamaJane:

Too cute!

My youngest likes to look nice.  He also likes to be comfortable so lately the comfort has won.  I think he'll switch back when he gets a bit older.  

My middle son just started junior high this year.  That's also when he started caring about how he dressed.  He's actually wearing dress shirts to school.  It's pretty funny :)

My daughter is 15 and is a jeans and t shirt person.

Here's my rules...no holes, follow the school dress code.  That's it.  If my daughter was interested in short and tight then I wouldn't allow it, but she has to interest in dressing like that.  

she_walk_softly
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:07 AM

My 4 yr old is a fashion girl and picks her own neon bright clothes. My son used to love dressing up as a kid. He still is picky about looking sharp.

Tigress22304
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM

DD9 has always been able to pick out her clothes-even if it includes a tutu or a tiara or her grandfather's smelly work shirts (he's a mechanic) or her Halloween costume.

The only rules ares-she must keep covered/no wearing white and she HAS to wear shoes/socks and her leg brace at all times. (My kid's the one known for stripping her shoes/socks and brace off and making herself comfy cozy during story time.)

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Awe super cute love the socks 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: