Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: What to Wear to that Holiday Soiree

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 49 Replies

How's your calendar looking? Somehow, these last weeks of November got really jammed: my in-laws arrive, we have two dinners and a family gathering planned already. Add in a holiday cocktail party, a festive dinner out with friends, and (gulp) a black-tie gala, this mama has to don more than the usual sweater-jeans-boots combo quite a few times...and it isn't even December yet!

I've realized my wardrobe is a little lacking in any outfit that screams or even whispers "festive." Though I'm set on finding a few pieces that are more holiday-y, I still want them to work year-round (keeping that budget in mind, yessiree!). What am I eyeballing?

Who doesn't love a good wrap dress? This one from Kmart is not only the right price, it has the perfect length sleeves to show off some sparkly bangles. It can be dressed up with heels and pearls, or go a bit more casual with high boots and sassy earrings.

Glitter and gold, festive and fun. Nordstrom's sweater can be rocked with a black pencil skirt or flowing black pants for a cocktail party, as well as with a moto jacket, jeans and kitten heels for a Saturday brunch. Double duty, double wow!

The charcoal grey of this sheath dress from Ann Taylor makes it timeless and endlessly useful. As a daytime go-to in the summer, pair it with wedge sandals and perhaps a casual turquoise cardigan. As a festive party must-have, don some fabulous heels, strands of pearls and a shimmery red or black wrap.

Cuddly and cozy, this faux fur-trimmed cardigan is so classic and so versatile. With a satin tank and black cigarette pants, it's a great option instead of a LBD. With a t-shirt and jeans or cords, it's ideal for an afternoon of shopping and lunch with the girls. Snag it at Banana Republic.

What is your holiday go-to outfit? 

©iStockphoto.com/ fscotto74 

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I usually put on a nice long dress and a mini shawl I handknit wrapped about my neck 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Today at 12:26 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Love that nice top,
Jeans & a nice top is what I will wear ;)

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Jeans and a Christmas shirt. This is usually for Christmas Eve.

The only party we go to is my hubby's office Christmas party..it is a big to do! I usually wear a nice sweater/shirt and dress pants. 

Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I don't have a great holiday outfit, yet.  I do have a nice gray sweater dress, but I'd like something a bit more festive.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I don't think that I would be comfortable in any of those.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Not sure yet...I'm thinking my nice black dress for a dinner party.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Jeans and a sweater for me I prefer casual

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Love the Nordstrom sweater!

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

uuuhh i like that first dress..

I have not picked anything yet.. we are not going anywhere but we do like to dress a little... might get a nice blouse and slacks and end up in pj's lol.. ;)

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Love the shirt in the second picture.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN