Group Home

Smarter Celebrations: How’s That Party Soundtrack?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

I flew to California from NYC recently and yeah, it's a long plane ride. What does this mama do to pass the time? Some work, some sleep and a ginormous pile of magazines. Seriously, when else do I have time to catch up on all of the gossip and how-tos and latest trends?

Of course, all of these issues were focused on the holidays: recipes galore for that Thanksgiving feast, DIY hostess gifts, make-up ideas to keep yourself looking fresh in the hectic holiday pace.

All much-needed info for folks...but the ones I found myself drawn to? Those ones that have hints for readers who will be hosting parties and gatherings in the upcoming weeks. New twists on table décor, advice on navigating certain touchy guest issues (when Uncle Bert has a bit too much to drink and corners your husband's business associate), best ways to layout that buffet.

I love all of these entertaining tips, because they are useful no matter what season. The main take-away I learned? There are two parts of throwing a party that are most often overlooked: lighting and music. Both have a huge impact on setting and keeping the mood of a party.

We are hosting this Thanksgiving, and I need to set up my iPod with some tunes to make it work. What am I looking at? They pros say, for a gathering with a sit-down dinner, to have two different playlist. One for the before and after dinner, a mix of upbeat, grooving tunes, but not too rocking. Think Mumford and Sons, Lumineers, maybe some Dave Matthews. If going old school, I may throw some classic Sinatra and Rosemary Clooney. The other playlist? For the actual dinner part, a more soothing, yet not too slow selection. For this, I'm thinking an assortment of jazz, from the greats like Coltrane and Dave Brubeck to newer artists like Michael Buble and Esperanza Spalding.

What kinds of music do you play at your parties and dinners? When you are at a party, do you notice if there is no music playing?

©iStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz 

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM

We don't normally entertain since we have the smallest house and everyone in DH's family has bigger ones.  They normally don't play music.  I love going to my friends' parties, they play a variety of piano music, jazz, classical.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM

If I play music at all, it has to be very soft and inobtrusive. We like to talk.

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Well, when we entertain or go to someone's house usually family we don't play music. We are greek so our talking is loud enough we don't need music. LOL

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Well our parties are different than yours...Usually there's a truck stereo going....

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM

usually a mix of today's hits. sometimes MIL has music playing but its usually oldies

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM

We dont have any parties

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM

We don't normally play music.  My family is loud enough as it is.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM
We have pandora playing during parties. We change it up depending on our mood.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I don't really like to host parties or dinners... But I have to confess that when we do have music playing, we just rely on Pandora. Pick a song or artist to set the tone, and let them do the rest. :)

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I love putting on dvds or cds from sting and U2
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie