Group Home

Choosing the Right Toys for an Active 2-year-old

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

My daughter is a handful, to say the least. She’s 2 and a half, but sometimes she thinks she’s 12. And sometimes, she acts like she’s an infant. So as you can imagine it takes some quick thinking and creative parenting sometimes to keep her occupied and stimulated. One day while shopping I got lucky—I came across two toys I thought would cater to both her inquisitive and creative side, as well as to her sweetness. Sofia The First Dress Up Trunk and Big Hugs Elmo!

Sofia is very popular in my house-being a young and very relatable princess my daughter LOVES to pretend she is Sofia, she even makes up songs. She'll dance around the house singing "I'm Sofia, I'm Sofia," so when I saw the dress up trunk I knew I had to have it. The full set, which was incredibly affordable, has Sofia's signature purple dress, her amulet, a purple purse, tiara, gloves and wand. Cadence couldn't get the costume on fast enough-and once she did get it on she treated us to many renditions of her made-up song (I'm Sofia!). The best part is that the box is actually a trunk so we were able to put the whole set back neatly where it will stay until we are ready to play with it again-which happened to be the next day. I loved seeing my princess dressed like her favorite princess.

The second toy I bought for Cadence was Big Hugs Elmo. Like Sofia, we are big Elmo fans but I had concerns that my daughter's Elmo-mania had waned. I was wrong. As soon as she saw the life-sized figure (he stands as tall as my 2-year-old) her first instinct was to hug him. I had to laugh when he actually hugged her back. The furry red Sesame Street character greeted Cadence with a big hug, and even asked her to hug him tighter. She squealed with delight and did what he asked; maybe a bit too overzealously because Elmo said "too tight." Once she was done playing and dancing with Elmo, Cadence put him down and said "Elmo go night night," and Elmo agreed. He started to sing a lullaby and then began snoring. Cadence laid down right next to him. If only it was that easy to put her to bed.

These two toys really lived up to my expectations. I give them both Mommy's Seal of Approval!

What type of toys do you look for when shopping for your children? Educational? Creative? I'd love to know. 

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
powow65
by kimmy on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM
My DD is 7, we try to give her more arts & crafts. She will also get some normal toys, dolls & this yet DD wants a TMNT! Lol
wandep
by Pam on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM

She is adorable!!! Love that first picture. :)

My kids are at that age they are hard to shop for. This year my son wants a lego robot. My daughter wants an easy bake oven and American girl doll accessories. 

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM
O almost always choose educational. Love Magic School bus dvds, books, science experiments, ans crafts.
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM
My youngest two love blocks so Legos it is. My eleven year old is a budding artist so how to draw books and art supplies are what he's getting (he asked for all of the above).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myownparadise
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM
She's beautiful! I look for creative things, learning games, and things that look fun. My girls are 4 & 5.
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Dang it. Now I want to go but Timmy that Elmo. I had avoided it thinking it'd be lame but if you super love it maybe it's worth it.
sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM
That's so cute! My two-year old daughter is also getting Elmo. After reading what you said about it, I am even more excited for her to get it. :)
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM
My son is four and he just had a birthday in October ... I asked for mostly educational toys and got some. I think we are doing creativity inspiring toys and fun ones too!
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I am really big on toys that encourage creativity and problem solving: Legos, board games, puzzles, figurines... And we have drawers full of dress-up clothes; it can be really fun to get into all of that! :)

momkaribg
by Kari on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Adorable
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci