Group Home

How Ambidextrous Are You?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 110 Replies

I know, it's pretty random.  But my arm got tired while I was mixing a quadruple batch of banana bread this morning, and when I tried to switch hands to give it a rest, it hit me that I was not very good at mixing with my left hand. And I had to wonder how that happened, because I always thought I was fairly ambidextrous! 

I've always written and cut with my right hand (though like any teacher I can write backwards, upside down or left-handed in a pinch), but used to do plenty of things with either hand, from threading a needle, to dribbling a basketball.

So, is this a product of age?  Disuse (I will admit I'm not dribbling down the court for left-handed layups very often these days)?  What about you?  Do you have a dominant hand?  Can you use your other hand for basic tasks?  Are you ambidextrous?

Enquiring minds want to know!

by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this
I write with my left hand. But cut and hold stuff more with my right. I can not cut with my left hand lol!!!
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Only if I hold the scissors upside down!

Quoting proudmommy690:

I write with my left hand. But cut and hold stuff more with my right. I can not cut with my left hand lol!!!

alf2651
by Amanda on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I right and do most things with my right hand, but there are a few that I do with my left, though not as well as I do with my right.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM

What kinds of things?

Quoting alf2651:

I right and do most things with my right hand, but there are a few that I do with my left, though not as well as I do with my right.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Im a lefty but can write with my right hand also. Oh and yummy on the banana bread!

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Multi-talented :).  I had a large bunch of black bananas in the freezer so I thought I'd clear them out :).

Quoting momofsixangels:

Im a lefty but can write with my right hand also. Oh and yummy on the banana bread!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

i can do somethings easily with my left hand but for the most part i'm a right hand kinda gal.

EireLass
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I had always been cross dominant. Ambi means you can do tasks with equal skill on both sides. Cross means you do specific tasks with a specific hand. I didn't realize to what degree I wasslike this until I broke my wrist and hand 3 years ago. That was so hard to learn new things....eating, shaving, etc.
Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I am definitely right handed.  But, when I had really bad tendonitis in my right hand, I went lefty for a while and did OK.  I even bowled left handed for a few months.

msharleyjr
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
As well here. When I carpal surgery on my R I found out I could write legibly with my left as well as curl my hair do my makeup including eyeliner! I drive with my left , dust and can mop and sweep with my left as dominate. Even now I try doing things my left to stay in practice , one never knows !

Quoting EireLass:

I had always been cross dominant. Ambi means you can do tasks with equal skill on both sides. Cross means you do specific tasks with a specific hand. I didn't realize to what degree I wasslike this until I broke my wrist and hand 3 years ago. That was so hard to learn new things....eating, shaving, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80