Group Home

inviting a guest to your table

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 53 Replies

i'm sure if we all thought hard enough we can think of someone in our lives; friend, co-worker, neighbor, etc. that spends the holiday's by themselves.  ever thought of inviting them over for dinner, coffee & goodies, to watch the big game?  it can get depressing this time of year being surrounded by so much happiness & joy & you're all alone.  it's not a big gesture on your part but inviting someone over for something as simple as coffee & cake can mean the world to that person.  or going to spend time with an elderly person who is in a home with noone to visit them can help ease a broken spirit.

my husband seems to always have friends that don't have family around.  since hubby & i don't either we know what it's like this time of year when it's just you.  we always invite those friends over to hang out with us on thanksgiving day (we don't do much in the way of celebrating it) & on christmas as well.  even if they don't always take us up on our offer i know that having made the gesture means a little something to them.

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM

thats sweet of you! Yes my uncle every since my grandmother passed three years ago he kinda h=keeps to himself and does everything alone we invite him every year but he never comes:(

OliviaW.
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I've asked people if they have plans if not they're more than welcome to join us.

Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM

That's very kind.  I actually don't know anyone who doesn't have someone to celebrate with.  My husband spends most of Christmas alone, because he's on call for work and can't travel to my aunt's house.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM

aww, i hope one day he does take you up on your offer.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

thats sweet of you! Yes my uncle every since my grandmother passed three years ago he kinda h=keeps to himself and does everything alone we invite him every year but he never comes:(

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:13 PM

that's no fun.  every christmas?  what does he do?

Quoting Juniper53098:

That's very kind.  I actually don't know anyone who doesn't have someone to celebrate with.  My husband spends most of Christmas alone, because he's on call for work and can't travel to my aunt's house.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Very kind. We often invite people over, especially if they are alone for the holidays.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Maybe one day :)

Quoting lizzig:

aww, i hope one day he does take you up on your offer.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

thats sweet of you! Yes my uncle every since my grandmother passed three years ago he kinda he keeps to himself and does everything alone we invite him every year but he never comes:(

lasombrs
by Sara on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
We had people join us for either thanksgiving or Christmas dinner when we lived in fl and didn't have kids
Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Yes.  Every Christmas.  He's an X-Ray Technologist.  He takes off every Thanksgiving so he can go hunting.  So, he is on call for Christmas.

Quoting lizzig:

that's no fun.  every christmas?  what does he do?

Quoting Juniper53098:

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I have done that a lot. The thought of someone being alone on a holiday makes me sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci