Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some honest advice about a gift

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:04 AM
  • 5 Replies
http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Land-Prestige-Tablet-Memory/dp/B00EE55UKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384838355&sr=8-1&keywords=PRESTIGE+7D+BUNDLE+PURPLE

Sorry I can't make this clicky. I found a sale a few days ago, this tablet was 80$. It usually sells for 99$. My mother has been wanting to buy herself one, but she has no idea what she wants, and probably won't know what to do with it when she gets it. But as soon as she figures out chrome and YouTube, she's going to be happy.

However, my sister doesn't have a tablet yet either. She and my mom are the only ones in my family who do not. So, when I saw them for such a good price, I splurged and got her one. We don't usually go over 50$ a person for the holidays, but I just thought it would be nice for her to have one. She doesn't have wifi or cable in her appt, but they do have a rec room in the complex that offers free wifi. I thought she could use to to watch shows (she knows she can use my netflix account) or good around on it, which is at least a little bigger than her phone, but without having to haul her clunky old laptop down to do it.

Ok, but the question, will she like it? She's more tech friendly than my mother. Dh and I have iPads. DS inherited dh's nexus tablet (cost 200$ when we bought it) when he got his iPad. My cousin and aunt have iPads. But I can't afford to get her anything like that. I don't want to give her something she won't use because it isn't good for anything. And I have no idea about the android operating system, so I can't tell if this is any good.

The reviews on amazon were lacking, but target had a bunch of good ones. So, would you use this? Do you think she will like it? I know she will appreciate the gesture. But I don't want her to just appreciate it, I want her to use it and enjoy it. What do you ladies think? Keep it, or send it back (it's supposed to arrive tomorrow) ?
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:31 AM
OK I just checked it out. The Jelly Bean operating system is an older system. And I've come to learn that any tablet that says it has a "multi touch" screen is not any good. I'd honestly send it back and try to find a used Ipod (should have wifi) or Nook/ Samsung tablet. It will really be nothing like the nook. Sorry hate to be the bearer of bad news. My friend bought one like that and it was just really aggravating. The screen looks really weird when you touch it. Nothing ran on it. =(
Cukimonster
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Quoting jconney80:

OK I just checked it out. The Jelly Bean operating system is an older system. And I've come to learn that any tablet that says it has a "multi touch" screen is not any good. I'd honestly send it back and try to find a used Ipod (should have wifi) or Nook/ Samsung tablet. It will really be nothing like the nook. Sorry hate to be the bearer of bad news. My friend bought one like that and it was just really aggravating. The screen looks really weird when you touch it. Nothing ran on it. =(

Thank you. I had idea about these things, all I know is what I used. I was hoping they would work, but it doesn't seem likely. Bummer. Thanks for the honest feedback. I'm glad I have time to fix it before Xmas. :)
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:09 AM
You're welcome! My hubby is big on Android so he's always talking about it. I hope you can find something else that will do the trick.

Quoting Cukimonster:

Quoting jconney80:

Thank you. I had idea about these things, all I know is what I used. I was hoping they would work, but it doesn't seem likely. Bummer. Thanks for the honest feedback. I'm glad I have time to fix it before Xmas. :)
mom2jessnky
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I second returning it. One of my friends bought his kid a cheap tablet like this and learned that it's app store is not one of the major ones so he couldn't get any good apps, the tablet didn't work well and he didn't like it. It got returned and the kid ended up with an iPad (which I think is cray, but it's not my money or kid). I'd stick with major brands on tablets, Samsung, Kindle Fire, Nook HD etc.

fudgybuddymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I would keep it & give it to her. I would also help her to set it up & be sure it works for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN