Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving (Funny) Horror Stories?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 33 Replies

My ex-husband was given a turkey by the factory he worked at.  He grew up poor so he chose the BIGGEST turkey they had, like 25+ pounds!  We lived away from family, just the two of us in an apartment with a small(ish) freezer that would in no way accomidate this ENORMOUS turkey until Thanksgiving.  And we lived in Indiana and the weather did not get cold enough to keep it in the bed of his truck for 2 weeks.  

Oh, did I mention I WAS A VEGETARIAN?

So, I started calling around to homeless shelters that would take this damn turkey immediately, and the whole time, he is FURIOUS.  I finally find a community center that will it RIGHT NOW, but my ex will not let me take his truck and refuses to help me move the damn turkey into my car.  So I lug the stupid turkey into the back of my car and deliver the turkey to people the needed it a whole lot less than we did!

Um, yea, we did not last much longer!  LOL!!

What about you!?  Drop the turkey?  Dogs get to the turkey before you?  Share your stories!

turkey dinnerpumpkin pie

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I can't even imagine a 25+ pound turkey! I bet the folks at the community center were thankful to have such a large portion, though... And since it was ahead of the holidays, it wasn't necessarily at the time when they are getting a glut of donations. Hopefully some good came out of the situation.

Our family has a long-standing joke about frozen dinner rolls. We call them "dinosaur eggs". One year my grandmother left them out to rise and forgot all about them... So yeah, they were the size of actual dinosaur eggs! And not too flavorful that year, either. Now we eat normal-sized rolls and still call them dinosaur eggs. :)

myownparadise
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM
About 4 years ago, I had a severe stomach virus and couldn't eat anything at all. We had two Thanksgivings to attend, and I went to the ER because the hospital was the only way I was getting anything for it.

Two years before that, I was pregnant with my oldest, and when I went to the doctor for my checkup, he said I was the only pregnant person he had ever seen lose weight during a holiday that centers around eating. I was questioned about whether or not I ate, and I really did eat a lot!
anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

OMG!  They must have been HUGE!  That is AWESOME!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I can't even imagine a 25+ pound turkey! I bet the folks at the community center were thankful to have such a large portion, though... And since it was ahead of the holidays, it wasn't necessarily at the time when they are getting a glut of donations. Hopefully some good came out of the situation.

Our family has a long-standing joke about frozen dinner rolls. We call them "dinosaur eggs". One year my grandmother left them out to rise and forgot all about them... So yeah, they were the size of actual dinosaur eggs! And not too flavorful that year, either. Now we eat normal-sized rolls and still call them dinosaur eggs. :)

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Well, let's just say it was over 20 years ago and we are still talking about it... Yeah, they were big rolls. And my family tends to not let things go, either. :)

Quoting anotherandree:

OMG!  They must have been HUGE!  That is AWESOME!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

OMg too funny! well when i was preggers with my little guy two years ago i had terrible sensitivity to smells of raw meat and my MIL was supposed to come help me take care of the turkey she then decided to not show up well i had to do it myself and guess what it made me sick and i puked all over it!!! Thank god our local grocery store was open for a few hours that day dh had to go buy another one and he had to do it :/

anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM

No!!!  That is horrible and hilarious (because it is over)!  Why didn't your HUSBAND make the stinkin' turkey instead of trying to make YOU suffer, you poor thing!

Quoting Stevensmomma:

OMg too funny! well when i was preggers with my little guy two years ago i had terrible sensitivity to smells of raw meat and my MIL was supposed to come help me take care of the turkey she then decided to not show up well i had to do it myself and guess what it made me sick and i puked all over it!!! Thank god our local grocery store was open for a few hours that day dh had to go buy another one and he had to do it :/

anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM

That is amazing!  I have to admit that if I was pregnant during the holidays, I would NOT be losing weight... :)

Quoting myownparadise:

About 4 years ago, I had a severe stomach virus and couldn't eat anything at all. We had two Thanksgivings to attend, and I went to the ER because the hospital was the only way I was getting anything for it.

Two years before that, I was pregnant with my oldest, and when I went to the doctor for my checkup, he said
I was the only pregnant person he had ever seen lose weight during a holiday that centers around eating. I was questioned about whether or not I ate, and I really did eat a lot!

myownparadise
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea how it even happened! I ate and ate! I had three different meals at three different houses that year! Its still a mystery!

Quoting anotherandree:

That is amazing!  I have to admit that if I was pregnant during the holidays, I would NOT be losing weight... :)

Quoting myownparadise:

Two years before that, I was pregnant with my oldest, and when I went to the doctor for my checkup, he said
I was the only pregnant person he had ever seen lose weight during a holiday that centers around eating. I was questioned about whether or not I ate, and I really did eat a lot!

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

LOL that is too funny.. Please dont tell me the turkey was your total down fall??? LOL

Hmm horror story.. the only thing that comes to mind is thanksgiving 2006! Living with my grandmom, her stove she had for 25 years finally bit the dust.. I was working and doing pretty well then so I took my end of month bonus and purchased an new stove. We have propane, home depot came, delivered it, took our old stove and it was hooked up. I baked cookies in it, but it was smokey, so I though ok.. maybe it needs to just burn the "new" off... Well fast forward to Thanksgiving day. The turkey is in the oven.. and the house is smokey, and smelled terrible and burnt our eyes. Obvioiusly there was something wrong with the oven it shouldnt be doing that. We got dinner cooked but the turkey had a layer of soot on it LOL. 

COme to find up, it needed to be converted to porpane as it was set for natural gas! Maytag came out and did it free the next day!

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM

LMAO.. sorry that sucks you puked but on the turkey LMAO

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)