Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebration: Great Thanksgiving Traditions

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

Recently someone in my group of mom friends sent out an email asking what sort of fun Thanksgiving family traditions we all might have to share. There were some really great suggestions that were offered, and since we have no traditions of our own (my family is all over the place, and we have not celebrated very many turkey days together, really), I'm really excited to try some of these starting now. I would also love to hear if you have any Thanksgiving family traditions to share here too, that others might enjoy.

Many people said they go around the table and say what they are thankful for. But one person took it step further: she said her family had a plain table cloth which they used only for this holiday, and every guest, each year, got sharpie markers by their plate so that they could sign the table cloth, and write on there what they were most thankful for that year. She said it was a really nice family heirloom at this point, one that was a constant reminder of all the great things they shared, the good times, and the love of family. I think I'm going to start this right now and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Another wonderful tradition a friend shared was to have an auction to raise money for a charity. Each guest brings something to auction off (apparently it also became a bit of a contest for who had the silliest thing to auction off, which is fun!). Then whoever got the most cash from their auction item got to chose which charity the total sum of money raised would go to. Even if it's just $20-$40, it's a great way to think of others, help those in need, and be reminded of all the things we are thankful for, together, on this holiday, I think. I'm eager to try this one too.

Do you have any fun Thanksgiving family traditions to share? Will you start any new ones this year?

© iStockphoto.com/chaoss 

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM

no thanksgiving traditions anymore. my family seems to be slowly drifting apart :( (my extended family, not my dh and kids. lol)

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this
That's a good tradition. We just eat lol and gather around to catch up with one another
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

We will be sharing new ones this year at my house! We will be taking everyones picture before they enter the house. :) I have decided to become the family photography and make photo albums.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Im going to see if we can do the thankful thing around the table, but we really don't have any traditions... We don't necessarily even eat in the same place or the same foods each year.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

not really watch the parade and eat and be with family

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't have any traditions out of the ordinary. We just always go to my grandparents and spend plenty of time with our family.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

we usually say what we are thankful for before dinner at the ILs

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Same for us :)

Quoting Apr1l:

That's a good tradition. We just eat lol and gather around to catch up with one another

Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM

We don't have any traditions.

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

We go to my brother and SIL's every year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)