Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: DIY Holiday Ornaments

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

DIY holiday ornaments are a great way to decorate your own home with your kids, enjoy some fun, creative quality time with them, save yourselves money, and they can make very nice, personal gifts too. Here are a few ideas to get you started:

Photo ornaments: You can make these with cardboard, thick paper, regular construction or photo paper you can laminate, or you can glue your photo onto a small wooden ornament shape which you can find in craft stores for a few cents a piece. Right now, my kid and I are busy selecting photos that we will print, and glue onto nice pieces of paper, or onto small painted wooded shapes like a snowman or heart. Painting them in gold or silver is a nice way to add some shine, or, of course, you can use glitter glue too!

Origami ornaments: These are a bit tricky, but this year we are also trying simple origami animal ornaments because they look so cool, and once you get the hand of it, they are fun to make.

Felt (or fabric) ornaments: To make these, just pick out some nice felt colors (or pretty fabric scraps), draw the shape or your ornament onto it, and cut them out. Then stuff with batting, cotton balls, or even dried lavender or rosemary for a scented ornament. Sew these together with your kids and let them decorate with markerts, buttons, pompoms or other craft materials. It's fun, fast, easy and these ornaments are solid. Unlike the paper ones, these will likely last forever! I think we will make some that are star shaped, snow man shaped (snowflake seems a bit tricky, for now,) and heart shaped (we love hearts).

Clay or Model Magic (by Crayola) ornaments: These are a no-brainer. Little ones of any age over 12 months can make these, and they last well too. (Model Magic dries so nicely by the way, remains soft and bouncy yet keeps it shape, and is easier to work with than regular Playdoh or clay, and makes no mess-one of my very favorite kids' art materials! You can buy this in a box of many colors, or just buy a large tub of white Model Magic, which the kids can then have fun painting and decorating too.

Whatever kind of ornaments you chose to tmake, just be SURE to remind your kids (or help them) add a hole and a ribbon in each of them, to hang them up!

Do you have any DIY ornament ideas to share?

© iStockphoto.com/Irochka_T  

by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dusky_rose
by Sue on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM
2 moms liked this

One year I made origami birds with gold foil paper and hung those up. They looked pretty festive. They looked something like this (not my picture, found it online).

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

We made some angels out of popsicle sticks & glitter :)

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I think we may do so simple DIY ornaments this year, since DD is 3 now she enjoys doing crafts. 

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I am going to try and do a couple of the flour corn starch ones that you bake to harden.
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this

i did the cinnamon applesauce ones a couple of years ago and it made A LOT!  You could also try decoupaging the photos onto an ornament.  I like the origami and felt ornament idea as well!

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I am making a few of these for my FSU Christmas tree this year.

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM

We tried these last year and they didn't work out too well for us. LOL

Quoting MixedCooke:

i did the cinnamon applesauce ones a couple of years ago and it made A LOT!  You could also try decoupaging the photos onto an ornament.  I like the origami and felt ornament idea as well!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Great ideas!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Ours didnt work too well either.  I think you have to get the applesauce and cinnamon ratio just right.

Quoting wandep:

Quoting MixedCooke:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here, ours didn't ever set up!

Maybe I'll try origami this year...

Quoting wandep:

Quoting MixedCooke:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)