Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Remembering to be Thankful

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

This week, it's all about giving thanks. I mean, literally, we put those two words "thanks" and "giving" together to create the name of the holiday on Thursday, one full of feasting on yummy food, being with family, and (hopefully) hitting the "pause" button on our lives to remember those bits of our life for which we are the most thankful. 

Isn't it odd we need a holiday to make us stop and be thankful? Little nugget of trivia for you: Thanksgiving that was declared a holiday by Abraham Lincoln. He was urged to do so by a woman named Sarah Josepha Hale (who just so happened to have penned the nursery rhyme "Mary had a Little Lamb").

I'm trying to be more thankful as the year goes along...and it's working. Kind of. I get on a good roll where I'm conscious of how many blessings I have, but then, when the stressors hit, when the schedule gets to that tipping point in between "Hectic" and "Frantic," I lose perspective. I lose the focus on those grand elements that make my life, well, worth it all...and it takes something in the news, something jarring, something to jolt me back into having that right perspective.

In so many magazines and blogs, I've read about ways to keep on that mindfulness track, from keeping a gratitude journal to repeating mantras...and I may try that. For now, I just take a look at Kiddo playing with her stuffed kitties, I pause and look up as I'm walking around this amazing city I live in, I talk to family that live far away, I read a few chapters in a great book...and all of these things -- all of which I am thankful for -- pull me back into a good groove.

How do you remember to be thankful? Do you keep a gratitude journal? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ josh-r

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM

It's hard sometimes to remember to be thankful for what you have. I just have to remind myself, that the things I take for granted, I know there are plenty of people out there who would love to have what I have.

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM
No gratitude journal in writing, but in prayer yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Ditto :)

Quoting Apr1l:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM

A gratitude journal is a great idea... It's too easy to get caught up in frustration or discouragement otherwise.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Quoting Apr1l:

same here:)

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM

TFS

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I do not keep a gratitude journal but I am very very thankful for all that we have.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I just try to be thankful daily!

fraujones
by Amanda on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I don't have a gratitude journal, but I do feel thankful. This year I don't feel stressed about the Holidays. But it is early, lol. 

Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I give my gratitude in my prayers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)