Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Fabulous Holiday Décor Themes

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

I used to collect nutcrackers...which is very odd since I'm allergic to nuts. I know, totally wackadoo, but I love them. For many years, I'd just decorate my tree with little ones hanging on red ribbon. I'd have them along every surface. That was, obviously, my holiday theme, eh?

Now that Kiddo has a very vocal say in our decorating, it's interesting to see her opinions in decor theme arise. Granted, any ornament with a cat is a must, but she gravitates toward birds, stockings, and white snow...which kind of works all together, I might add. 

If I had a million dollars, I would rotate holiday themes over the years...alas, I don't have a million dollars, but I can live vicariously through online browsing and what I see in every catalog, in every store window. There are amazing ideas for themes for holiday décor. Here are the ones I'm digging: 

-- Penguins. Who doesn't love those bird dudes in tuxedos? From figurines to cool cartoons wearing Santa hats, I adore those little guys, especially as they work for any winter holiday.

-- Monochromatic. All blue, all white, all red, all green...whatever you love, that brings the holidays to life for you, work it.

-- Silver and gold. I love the classic look of silver and gold shimmering on trees, along mantles. So easy, so chic.

-- Nutcrackers. Yup, been there, done that...but it works. Who doesn't adore those little soldier guys, especially as you can now find them with your college logo, your favorite Harry Potter character and everything in-between. Plus, it's a perfect opportunity to get the kids to see and listen to the fabulous ballet The Nutcracker!

Do you a have theme for your holiday decorations? Share your special holiday decorating ideas!

©iStockphoto.com/ teyler_derden 

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I love anything woodsy or outdoorsy in my decorations... I'm pretty sure DS just likes bright and shiny! :)
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Our christmas tree is white every year.  The rest of decor is whatever dd makes in school or at home.  We do not have any nutcrackers unless they are made in their native country so no chinese nut crackers for us.  I like wreaths and snowflakes for themes in bathroom LOL  I use window clings on the mirror.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 28, 2013 at 5:04 AM

We did the penguins for a few years...I am in love with Nutcrackers now..This year tho, I'm really digging the moose..Don't know why, but they are adorable..And ofcourse my husband has to indulge me...I now have a boy and girl moose...I want to do gingerbread theme in my kitchen..Incorporate snowflakes throughout the house..I have a year round tree of sorts..Sooo, can't wait to decorate that too...( a branch of madrone) I used to swap alot of dotee dolls..Now they are some of my ornaments on my Christmas tree...  

lasombrs
by Sara on Nov. 28, 2013 at 6:34 AM
I hate nut crackers lol

We love penguins :) we do moose and reindeer too
momma-flynn
by Greta on Nov. 28, 2013 at 7:19 AM
When we were kids my brother would get a new nutcracker every year & I would get a new music box. My tree doesn't really have a theme other than red & white Christmas. I do a theme on my table with snowflakes & reindeer. I add a little to it every year to keep it changing.
decor42
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 7:33 AM

My fancier tree has white lights, varying shades of blue, silver and white ornaments and soft blue/gray clip on birds with feathers. Some ornaments are smooth and some are textured. Topped off with a large snowflake on top. FR tree is more country with homemade ornaments that the kids have made in the years past. 

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM

snowmen :)

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Nov. 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I love snowmen, but don't usually decorate in any particular theme. We like bright and shiny stuff too. We decorate how we want and it is always fun. Thanks for sharing.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I have a collection of Angels that I accumulated over the years. The tree is decorated with things the kids made when they were little and ornaments from different places we've traveled.

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Some gold and silver here and there and a lot of fresh trim hollly branches pine cones magnolia etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)