Group Home

Smarter Shopping: Dollar Store Deals

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies

Sure, Black Friday just happened and hopefully some of you scored some great deals and got a head start on your holiday shopping (I didn't, ha!) But whether you did or didn't, don't disregard the permanent deals you can enjoy from dollar stores near you. A few times in my life, including now, I have lived right next to a Dollar Store and I have to say, it's a wonderful thing.

Not all "dollar stores" price everything at $1 (the one I live nearby included), but they are really, really cheap compared to other stores, many things always DO cost just one dollar in the stores, and often, you can find brand name items that are fine quality for a fraction of the cost! Many items, however, are also old or damaged, or not fresh, and therefore definitely not worth spending any money on, even given the savings.

Here are the things that I think are great deals you can always find at dollar stores, all around: Soaps and other non-perishable personal hygiene items (NOT over-the-counter medicine though, as they expire); cleaning products and supplies (like mops, brooms, etc.); pet supplies; storage items (from food storage container to large bins for your organize your garage or store your winter clothes, etc.); party and picnic supplies, especially for kids, like favors, paper plates, napkins, cups, plastic utensils, disposable table clothes, party hats, balloons, banners, and such; kid's art supplies (great for long car trips and other travel), such as crayons, paper, felt, coloring books, pom-poms, glue, etc.; gift wrapping items like ribbon, tape, tissue paper and boxes; hair care products like brushes, headbands, barrettes, bows, and such. Personally, I don't buy any food products at our dollar store as they look far from fresh. (For instance, this Halloween they were selling Easter candy, which was obviously pretty old.)

Do you shop at "dollar stores," and what great deals do you take advantage of there?

© iStockphoto.com/creacart

by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Love those stores,
Can get so much for so little :)

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I do not

bhwrn1
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 5:56 AM

I do shop at the dollar store. Will be going there later this week before I pick the kids up from school on their 1/2 days. I usually try to get the candy and maybe things they might need for school (crayons, pens, etc) there as small stocking ideas

wandep
by Pam on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Yes, we do shop the Dollar stores. :) Just went there on Saturday and bought Mickey Mouse and gang santa hats for our Disney trip this weekend! Can't wait!!

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I do sometimes. Some stores like Family Dollar and Dollar General around here actually have the big brand toys for super cheap, especially around Christmas. But I didn't get anything for either of them this year.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Not for Christmas gifts but I did when dd was potty training lol
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I get most of my stocking stuffers and wrapping stuff there, love the deals!

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Yes, I love Dollar Stores! I am loving it right now with all the decorations, etc for the holidays. I like to get the outside little decorations for my MIL. I get the kid craft supplies and learning things such as crayons, paper, coloring books, construction paper, etc. 

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I also take my kids there so they can buy little things for the family for Christmas. THey love it and have so much fun doing it.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I don't shop the dollars store, there aren't any in my neighborhood/shopping areas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80