Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: Best New Holiday Traditions

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

Who broke out that Elf on the Shelf (EOTS) yesterday? He's technically supposed to arrive back at your home on December 1, right? Alas, Murray, our EOTS has never made it on time (yeah, I'm guilty of not ever finding him on the correct day). We've had I'm for a few years now...and his late arrival has become a bit of a tradition in our abode.

It's pretty cool when you realize something you've incorporated into your family's lore has now become a tradition. Something that you envision happening every year, about the same time every 365 days. Granted, many orbit some sort of holiday...and Christmas is one holiday planet with numerous tradition moons.

I've been wondering about kicking off a new tradition this year, hopefully one that will stick. I'm been polling others, pondering, thinking and have been so surprised by how many cool new traditions I've run across.

New Christmas pajamas -- This is one my sister has done for a while now. They open one gift on Christmas Eve and it is always a new pair of pajamas, usually with snowmen, penguins, ornaments...something in the spirit of the day. 

Read a holiday book every night -- I like this one, sort of an Advent calendar of book reading, which not only is cool to get you in the sprit, it works on those literacy muscles!

Give an ornament -- I do this with my niece. I give her a new ornament each year, which is pretty cool. By the time she's off "on her own," she'll have a great collection already.

Host a Make an Ornament Party - Tons of folks do a cookie bake and all that...why not do another form of creating and soiree-ing (that is a word, right?)? There are some amazing and super simple ornaments anyone of any age can do. Sure, you could do it with the kids too, but instead of that adults-only party where you stand around, why not have people do this and then take them to a shelter or fire station to help them decorate their trees? The fabulous folks at A Subtle Revelry have two that would be totally fun, including a how-to on making mini wreaths! With thin grade jewelry wire and some mini felt balls from a craft store, you can just spear and slide the little balls onto a piece of cut wire. Make a pattern, go monochromatic, all up to you. Then put into a wreath shape and twist. Done and done. Also, check out her tutorial on tied ball garland, which is so cool!

What are your favorite holiday traditions? Are you kicking off any new ones this year?

ŠiStockphoto.com/bagwold 

by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I like to get personalized Christmas ornaments for my hubby and kids.  We have a lot of ornaments, so I was thinking of doing multiple Christmas trees this year.  I was also kinda thinking of a Christmas tree in each of their rooms.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I like the idea of make your own ornament party as well.

wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Yesterday at 7:03 PM
by Pam on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:29 AM

We broke ours out yesterday! I even posted about it...Jingle. :) 

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I've been wanting to do the pajama one. We also started to do a cookie swap last year and will keep it going. It was a lot of fun and so delicious!! My mom and sister had started the tradition of giving the kids ornaments each year.

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:48 AM

We let the kids pick a new ornament every year, and we give new PJs on Christmas eve every year......and that's about all we do.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM

We are starting the Elf on the Shelf this year.  My favs are opening a special present (always pj's) on Christmas Eve!!

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I like to collect nutcrackers..I also like to get one special ornament each yr.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

We don't celebrate Christmas, but we have other holidays we celebrate.  I've kind of incorporated some traditions from Christmas, like decorating, having special foods, making decorations and reading books about the holidays.  So we do some of these.  I would like to start having a tree of some sort, maybe a palm tree to decorate during our holidays would be fun for them and put their gifts under it on the day that our holidays begin!  They would love it!

JKuney
by Jessica on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

We are getting pj's for the girls which I hope will become a new tradition in our family :)

EbonySnow
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Our newest is for Alyssandra to have her very own little tree in her room

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN