Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: It’s Make a Gift Day (Seriously!)

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

Happy Make a Gift Day! Seriously, it is a semi-quasi-holiday where you don't have to send card...all you have to do is make a gift. It comes at a perfect time: right when you have to make holiday gifts for co-workers, teachers, cousins. 

We are definitely making some gifts on Make a Gift day. Last year, for her teachers, Kiddo made dreamcatchers. Cool, awesome, relatively easy for her (and me). What are we doing this year? Good question. The key is to do make something that they will actually like and not hide away in a drawer, eh? Here are a few possible ideas I found.

For the ladies you have to make for, why not this really cool braided hex nut bracelet? I spotted this tutorial over at WhollyKao. All you need is some leather lacing or rope and hexnuts. You start braiding the laces and loop in the hex nuts as you go. Voila - a chic gift!

This DIY chalkboard wine tray craft spotted at DreamGreenDIY may be perfect to do when Kiddo is at a playdate because of the painting fumes, but totally awesome nonetheless. Snag a wooden art tray at a craft store and get some chalkboard spray paint and wood stain or paint. Mask off the edges of the tray and paint the rest with a few coats of chalkboard paint. Then remove the masking tape and do what you want with the edges - stain them, paint them, add decoration. Done and done! Present it with a bottle of wine and some chalk!

This last DIY gift -- these rockin' pom-pom bookmarks that DesignMom came up with -- couldn't be easier, and the kids can definitely help. All you need are yarn and scissors. Cut two longer pieces of yarn to have ready and then start. Wrap the yarn around your fingers...not too tight but not too loose, about 90 times. Slide it off and secure the loops with one of those pieces you already cut off. Then add the other piece - the tail of the bookmark - to it. Now grab those scissors and start cutting the loops being careful not to cut the tail! Then keep trimming the fluff ball until you like the looks of it. She has a complete step-by-step guide!

What is your best DIY gift?

©iStockphoto.com/ webking 

by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 12:32 AM

These are great :)

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Dec. 3, 2013 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I did a scrapbook for my friend who transferred to a different school.  We had pics of all the times we dressed up for spirit week, and I had the staff give me copies of pictures they had with her.  Then I had everyone write a thought or memory they wanted to share with her.  When she got it, she cried. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM
I need to work on sewing some stuff today... DS is getting a bath robe if I can finish it.
SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I bake cranberry nut bread, pineapple-banana bread and lots of cookies and candies.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I made a  pot thing for my Mom.You use re-bar and stack pots then add flowers

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM
I'm not crazy about the ones listed but like Sarah's idea of sewn/crocheted gifts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM

food. I am sooo not crafty.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Scarves, no-sew blankets, ornaments, etc.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Awesome!

wandep
by Pam on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Cool!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)