Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Easy Ways to Save $$ During The Holidays

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

Raise your hand if you are on a budget? Right, me too. I'm not sure I know a family that isn't on some sort of spending maintenance plan. We groove along pretty well as the year goes by, but the holidays definitely have a way of throwing our money habits off course. From travel expenses to gifts to those little hostess gifts you bring to each festive soiree, they add up and can derail all of your hard work. 

Need a few ways to save some moolah in the holidays? Here's a couple I'm trying this year:

-- Be organized. List out everyone and put a dollar amount by each name. Be realistic about your budget as you do this and then always have the list with you to keep you on track, as a reminder of what amount you set for whom.

-- Shop from home. The less time you are in stores, the less chance you have to overspend. Shop online. Not only does it save you travel time to the mall, you save gas money. The key here: whatever store you order from, be sure they offer free shipping.

-- Entertain wisely. If you are throwing a gathering, make it potluck or BYOB, This can be a great way to cut down on costs but still gather all of your friends and family to celebrate the season.

-- Give yourself, not your money. Sure you can make DIY gifts that are awesome but may take a little time, but also think about other things you can give: organizing 10 boxes of photos for your mom, a girls day of lunch and window-shopping with your Aunt Jane, re-painting the basement for your sister...think about ways you can give without spending money.

-- Think one big versus lots of littles. Aim to give one bigger, nicer gift rather than a bunch of little ones. Not only will your giftee will appreciate it more, you will probably spend less money in the long run.

How are you cutting costs this year for the holidays? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ arsenik 

by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I try to shop for deals online and it saves me time and money.  I really try to get price adjustments or return items if they get cheaper as the holidays approach.  Every penny helps.  Keep your receipts.

2004MAMA715
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I have never been good at sticking to a budget during the holidays. I think shopping online is my best bet. Every time I go shopping I take a list but always end up with way more than I planned .
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Dec. 5, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Great tips...

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

shopping online for sure!

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM

stick to a budget, look for sales, use coupons.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I really like some of these ideas and ive thought of making a set amount for each memeber of the family ... or doing the needed gifts .. kinda takes the suprise out of the gift .. however not the giving :) .

Juniper53098
by June on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I've been doing most of my shopping online in the last couple years.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I do 99% of my shopping online, and I always go through Ebates, so I get a little back on my spending.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM

There are a few people that I am not buying for this year that I have in the past. I've also been waiting for coupons/discounts and free shipping!

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I also started really early this year!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)