Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebration: My Top 5 (or 6) Most Helpful Kitchen Tools

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 67 Replies

Now that the holidays are officially here, many of us are spending lots of extra time in the kitchen, baking, cooking, prepping and serving loads of delicious, festive food for our family and friends. And it's at times like these, when the busy-meter is on EXTRA HIGH in my kitchen, that I am always most aware of, and thankful for, some very helpful, essential kitchen tools (these also make great gift ideas, I think!) Here's my personal list of most helpful kitchen tools to help you through the hectic holiday season:

1) Good oven mitts. This might sound like a no-brainer, but I can't tell you how many crappy (even fancy) oven mitts I've had, which burn right through to my skin just from picking up a very hot casserole dish. Try finding some with rubber on the outside, which adds a strong, extra protective coat and really keeps the heat off. Without a good pair of these, I'm lost in the kitchen.

2) Tongs. These are essential for flipping, tossing, separating and serving so many foods in our home from sausage and steak to pasta, salad, veggies and fruit. I like the kind with the rubber coated tips, which makes the grip more delicate and helps you from breaking food up, if you grab too fast.

3) A blender. We have always just had a little cheap hand blender which stores easily in a small drawer, and comes with two simple attachments (a blender and a whisk), but it's still ideal to make fast, fresh delicious food like soups, purrees, sauces, batters, whipped cream and so much more.

4) A sharp chef's knife. There's really nothing more useful than a sharp chef knife to prepare good food at home. The sharper your blade, the quicker and better you can chop things. Storing you knifes properly and safely, and cleaning them by hand instead of in a dishwasher, both go a long way to extending the usefulness of your knives too.

5) My last choice is a toss up between a good peeler, which I use so much, every day, and my trusted meat thermometer, which I am sure we might all be dead without in my home (due to poor cooking). Either way, you can't go wrong ensuring you have a good version of either of these very essential kitchen tools for your home.

Wishing you happy cooking and happy holidays, from my kitchen to yours, and bon apetit!

What are your favorite essential kitchen tools?

© iStockphoto.com/robynmac

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:17 AM
1 mom liked this

We use all those, I love my scooper strainer, I use it to scoop out pasta or a hard boiled egg.  Its much easier than pouring out the hot water. 

powow65
by kimmy on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this
The glass (I think ceramic) knife set I bought my SO for.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I bake ALOT.  My favorite kitchen tool.....is a tiny shot glass that has all the liquid measure marks on it.  No more mucking up the measuring spoons for 1 tsp vanilla.  I love that thing.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM

E-Z egg cracker. 

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

#1 good oven mitts! the deocative ones look nice but i stick with bed bath and beyond with a silicone gripper

wandep
by Pam on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

We use all of those too! :)

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Spoonula from Williams-Sonoma! I use nothing else when stirring!

Le Creuset pots & pans! It doesn't get better than that!

Stand mixer! Can't live without it!

Garlic press

Lots and lots of cutting boards

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I like this!!!!!!! Would be great for corn, grean beans, etc!

Quoting momofnatalie:

We use all those, I love my scooper strainer, I use it to scoop out pasta or a hard boiled egg.  Its much easier than pouring out the hot water. 

mackiebugsmom
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I would love one of those! Great idea.

Quoting chicken13:

I bake ALOT.  My favorite kitchen tool.....is a tiny shot glass that has all the liquid measure marks on it.  No more mucking up the measuring spoons for 1 tsp vanilla.  I love that thing.

mackiebugsmom
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM
That really would be great for eggs!

Quoting momofnatalie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)