Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sound of Music Live -- Did you watch?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM
  • 129 Replies

Did anyone else catch the Sound of Music (musical version) as a live broadcast tonight? What did you think?

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM

well i only saw a few mins here and there and from that...it wasnt as engaging as i was hoping...

what did you think?

im sure it was good overall...but i didnt see the whole thing

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

i should add that  i love the original SOM...and I actually sing 2 songs off the movie to my son fairly regularly lol...so I have high standards for a remake of any kind :P

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM

We watched the whole thing, though there was a lot of chatting and wandering around throughout. :)

I thought it was entertaining. I think that what we expect from a Broadway musical is not the same as what we would expect from a movie or television show, so that crossover presents a lot of challenges for the actors... Some handled it better than others, IMO.

I thought that Audra McDonald was AMAZING as always! :)

Quoting aneela:

well i only saw a few mins here and there and from that...it wasnt as engaging as i was hoping...

what did you think?

im sure it was good overall...but i didnt see the whole thing

bether89
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I watched part of it.  It was okay.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Well yes, I think that was a factor for a lot of people... You aren't really going to top the Julie Andrews/Christopher Plummer movie. At least it was the stage version and not a remake of the movie!

Quoting aneela:

i should add that  i love the original SOM...and I actually sing 2 songs off the movie to my son fairly regularly lol...so I have high standards for a remake of any kind :P

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM

What part did you watch? Did you end up just turning it off?

I think "okay" is the short version of how I felt about it, too. :)

Quoting bether89:

I watched part of it.  It was okay.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM

true...it's a diff format. i've been to plays, some musicals but not many. and i've seen movie musicals. i didnt really see enough of it to make a good judgement but im glad it was entertaining enough ..maybe if they do a repeat at some point... i will try to catch it as I really was interested to see how they interpreted it.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

We watched the whole thing, though there was a lot of chatting and wandering around throughout. :)

I thought it was entertaining. I think that what we expect from a Broadway musical is not the same as what we would expect from a movie or television show, so that crossover presents a lot of challenges for the actors... Some handled it better than others, IMO.

I thought that Audra McDonald was AMAZING as always! :)

colins_mom
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM
there were a few changes that pissed me off. like moving the yodeling song... I yelled at my tv...I noticed a few changes that had me yelling at the tv
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM

i havent seen the stage version...so i def couldnt compare the two..i will have to see it if they run it again

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Well yes, I think that was a factor for a lot of people... You aren't really going to top the Julie Andrews/Christopher Plummer movie. At least it was the stage version and not a remake of the movie!

Quoting aneela:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:37 AM

They were performing the original stage musical rather than the movie adaptation, hence the differences... I have seen it on stage before, but it's been a long time. I was VERY surprised to see My Favorite Things right at the beginning, but I love the actress who played the Mother Abbess so I liked her singing it. :)

Quoting colins_mom: there were a few changes that pissed me off. like moving the yodeling song... I yelled at my tv...I noticed a few changes that had me yelling at the tv

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)