Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Fun Winter Sports

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 76 Replies

I don't like the cold - at all, I'll be honest - but I do love winter sports. The one I love the most is skiing but I only get to do that very, very rarely and so I have discovered many other fun winter sports which I urge you all to try with your families soon if you haven't already.

Ice-skating requires no snow, and it's sort of a magical experience, I think, even if, like me, you have zero skills or ability. It really doesn't matter, if you bundle up properly with warm layers anyone can enjoy this sport thoroughly, indoors, or out because even when you fall you won't feel it very much through all those layers! Kids really love this activity because it's a whole different feel from walking, running or anything else they might relate it to. Ice skating rinks usually have cheap skate rentals, fun music, lights, hot cocoa and lots of room for big groups of friends to join you so plan on making an afternoon of it (or many) this holiday season or winter, and you're sure to all have a great time.

Snowshoeing is fun and easy, and a great way to get some exercise, fresh air and experience a wintery adventure with your family too. Pick a sunny day and look for a place that rents sizes for your whole family. Be sure to pack a backpack with some hot cider and snacks too, because you can trek all day and really be transported by the beauty of nature, the quiet and stillness you will find in the woods once you set out.

Sledding might just be one of the most fun activities I can possibly think of, in life. If you have ever had the joy of flying down a hill on a sled, whether it was some hard-core toboggan or a plastic bag, you know what I mean. Even if it happened half a lifetime ago, just once, you probably remember it as sheer happiness, and that, my friends, is hard to beat. Whether you enjoy sledding with your family often or never, I urge you to consider it a real winter sport and activity (as my family does, big time), and seek out long, exciting and beautiful sled runs to enjoy together this year. You can even find places to sled at night, which is super fun, and special, and this is something you can enjoy with little ones of pretty much all ages too.

Which winter sports do and your family love and enjoy most?

© iStockphoto.com/rossario

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:11 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Kids loved sledding in the snow always :)

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Gpong to the beach. Sorry we live in fl

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

We love snow sports! This is our backyard ice rink, and we also have season passes to the little local ski mountain. :-)

Oh, and snowshoeing and sledding... Bring it, winter!
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Mobile Photo

We love snow sports! This is our backyard ice rink, and we also have season passes to the little local ski mountain. :-)

Thats awesome! When I was growing up in MN we had a backyard rink.I miss it

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hugss:

I always loved sledding

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM
To be honest, I'd take a week at the beach... Maybe we should have an exchange! :-)

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Mobile Photo

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: To be honest, I'd take a week at the beach... Maybe we should have an exchange! :-)

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Mobile Photo

I say thats a deal!

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I want to go ice skating so bad! Never been. Trying to convince DF to do it for Valentine's Day. ; ) I want to take the kids sledding. They'll love it.
powow65
by kimmy on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Sledding!
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:11 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

So did my kids ;)

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting hugss:

I always loved sledding

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN