Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Fabulous Budget Gift Ideas

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 75 Replies

How is your holiday shopping going? I'm woefully behind, not a whole lot of items crossed off the list yet. As I stare at it, all I see is dollar signs. That's not right, not the spirit of the season at all, I know, but even as we spread cheer, we have to mindful of just how much that cheer is costing.

For some folks on my list, it's not a problem - my dad, he always asks for books, which is great and doesn't break the bank. But others? It's a little tough to find something they will like and that isn't so detrimental to the credit card balance. What am I thinking about? Here are a few of my best budget gift ideas, all that are $30 and under.

-- Ornaments. Everyone loves new holiday stuff, and ornaments are no exception. It's a great idea especially for those hard to by-for tweens, like the personalized owl ornament from Ellicakes on etsy. For that younger, not-yet-married co-worker, opt for this silver ball garland from CB2 he can toss on his mantle to be festive.

-- Trays. Every mom I know loves anything to do with organization. Trays like these from West Elm are an ideal gift for those mama buddies, as well as your sister-in-law. They come in a variety of colors and all are under $30.

-- Holiday dishware. Think penguin salad plates, reindeer platters, you get the idea. I love these snowflake mugs from Crate and Barrel. Add some coffee beans or hot cocoa mixes and - bam! - a really nice gift for that secretary or for your neighbor.

-- Magazine subscriptions. This is a gift that keeps giving all year long. So many titles around $15, so you can buy it, and present the present (aw, love the play on words?) via a wrapped-up current issue and something that goes along, like cookie cutters for a food magazine or a trio of nail polishes with that beauty one.

Share your best gifts ideas under $30!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Nicolesy 

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I love the idea of ornaments.They are special and will still have them years later

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM
The snowflake mugs are adorable. I also like to give homemade jams and jellies.
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I was thinking magazine subscriptions for a couple family members. The kids like to pick out some things for family members at the dollar store. Something homemade like hot cocoa mix in a jar.
powow65
by kimmy on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I am in love with that snow-flake cups!
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Cute ideas!

wandep
by Pam on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Love those ideas.
fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Great ideas. For the grownups, a holiday sampler six or twleve pack of beer is always fun. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I give a lot of ornaments. I check out every Christmas store when we're traveling. Food gifts are another option, either homemade or gourmet cheeses, olives,preserves or something they wouldn't buy for themselves.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Great ideas.

I like to shop Victoria's secret beauty collection. You can find great gift set for under 20 dollars. 

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I like the ornament idea...I'm doing dog/puppy prints this year for my family...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN