Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holiday Decorating Challenge Day 6: Make it Personal!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM
  • 131 Replies

When you are decorating for the holidays, it's nice to be able to add your own style to the mix! Today's challenge is to create one of a kind ornaments that show off your personality!

Here are two DIY ornaments you can make:

Cookie Cutter Ornaments

These ornaments are really easy to make and provide you with unlimited possibilities. There is a wide selection of cutter cookie shapes from snowmen to bells for you to choose from.

First, pick out your patterned (or scrapbook) papers or color-photocopy pictures, and attach them onto card stock. Next, trace around the cookie cutter and cut out the shape. Add a little glue along the cookie cutter's edge. Then press the paper in place and let dry. Finally, poke a hole in between paper and cookie cutter, and wrap ribbon around top of cutter.

Glass Ball Ornament

These ornament are so simple! Get clear glass ornaments and your favorite paint and you are ready to go! You can select paint that follows your holiday color scheme or you can pick colors that make a statement!

First, squirt about a teaspoon of paint directly into the ornament. Then slowly swirl it around until it coats the inside. Use a paper cup to store the ornament upside down so that all the excess paint runs out. Leave it upside down for about 24 hours to make sure it has plenty of time to dry.  Once dry, add the metal cap!

holding ornaments

Do you have any handmade ornaments on your tree? Does your tree have a theme or does it have a more of a variety of ornaments?

One mom who participates in all 10 days of the challenge will be entered to win a $50 Kmart gift card!

Join Our Holiday Decorating Challenge

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM

The only handmade ones we have are ones that hte kids have made at school or other activities or that I received last year as a preschool teacher.

We don't have a theme at all. Just LOTS of ornaments.

lunyuny
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I have a variety decorated tree.  I am going to try the cookie cut out decorations with ds.

huntersmama711
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I tried those dough ornaments last year but failed miserably. Lol. I am not a crafty person at all
elle7777
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Great ideas! Yeah my tree has some beaded homemade ones...My tree is a hodgepodge of stuff.

JamieBue38
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM
We have 2 trees, both fake. The 9' one is the angel tree with white decorations and angel ornaments. It's the looker. The other tree is about 4' and has all the ornaments my siblings and I made over the years (many are broken). But it's always fun to pull out old picture ornaments and look at how cute we were.
sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Good ideas. We have homemade ones on our tree as well as bought ones

strictmomhere
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Love handmade stuff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy201219
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Our tree decorations this year are all orniments we made together. Since this is our first christmas as a blended family we wanted to make every one feel apart of deciding what went on our tree.
Moms_Angels1960
Yay, our new grand daughter arrived yesterday and she is beautiful
Yesterday at 9:03 AM
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I have several homemade ornaments on our tree and our tree only has a love theme going on which means I love everything on our tree.

heldcaptiveby2
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Great ideas! I am going to try these.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)