Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Slowing Down During the Holidays

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

Last week, I had something every day at my kiddo's school, two holiday parties, 23 gifts to buy and an elf to move each night. This week, I have two work meetings, three winter celebrations, 19 gifts to still buy, as well as I need to get packed for our annual trip to the grandparents and, yes, continue to move that elf each night.

I know we've chatted a lot about the holidays, creating new traditions, what to wear to parties, how to save money by making some DIY gifts...and all of it is terrific, but dang, there is a lot of it, eh? I'm finding myself not slowing down, not having enough time to savor the essence of the holidays in those little moments.

It's not fun, all of this rushing and, this year, more than in years past, I'm really trying to slow down my own pace. It isn't easy, folks, I know, so I'm attempting just three little tweaks to hopefully put the kibosh on the hectic frenzy.

1. Scale back. Whether it is gifts or parties, I am just not doing as much. How can you do this too? Maybe go out for your holiday dinner instead of cooking at home. Do you need decorations in every room and all up and down the staircase? Can you send an e-card to wish folks "Happy holidays!" instead of spending time addressing 150 envelopes? See where you can cut back on time and energy. Me? I said "no" to a few invites.

2. Limit each day's activities. I think, "What do I really need to do?" on any given day. So, I have deadlines, I have certain obligations at Kiddo's school she needs me to attend (and, of course, I want to be there). I make a list of those basic tasks for each day, and then only add one or two more things -- and that is all I am doing that day. It leaves room if something pops up (which is always does, natch).

3. Devote one hour to me. Whether it is napping or taking a bath or reading, I am taking one hour each day to recharge. With everything that goes on this time of year, I get hopped up on caffeine and adrenaline and the busyness of it all, this hour to relax lets me "knock down" my thoughts and my body.  

Are you rushing around more than ever? How do you slow down the holiday craziness? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ kikkerdirk                     

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Actually its about to slow down a bit when the kids get out for break bc that means all their activities are on a break too. But we still have parties and gatherings coming up. I think u just have to plan ahead so youre not rushing frantically last minute...easier said right hah
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM

N ot too bad actually & happy about that :)

Mznaye
by Jo on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Its my usual speed here
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Surprisingly, I'm not rushing around. I did most of my shopping very early.   

wandep
by Pam on Dec. 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Yes, I have today and tomorrow to finish it up before the kids get out of school half days. Those days will be harder to get things done. :( I still need to decide if I am wrapping santa presents this year.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I cut out a lot this year, since my health has not been great this year. I have concentrated on the things I felt were really important.

Tigress22304
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Nope-I refuse to bend to the craziness that is the holidays! I try to not overlap events/activites so we're stretched too thin.

I make sure to have my down time on  daily basis (even if it is 10min-30min to hide and read)

fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I need to slow down. It's been too crazy! 

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I had much less rushing around this year then the past which was nice

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM

My 2 sisters passing within 10 days of each other...REALLY REALLY SLOWED me down....I barely have the strength to go get my girls some days....My house isn't fully decorated...I have to continue deep cleaning and all I want to do is hide in bed..... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)