Group Home

Smarter Shopping: What to Nab During Xmas Sales (and What to Skip)

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

The signs are everywhere: 50% Off! 60% Off! Sale of the Year! End of The Year Sale! I'm talking Christmas sales. With offer after offer from stores enticing us to come in and spend our money on their stuff, it isn't hard to get swept up in the madness. Those the thoughts of saving a few bucks start swirling in your head, creating that giddy felling like you've had one too many cups of egg nog. Before you swipe that credit card, there are some things you should and shouldn't put in that shopping cart!

What to buy:

Christmas decorations -- Definitely keep an eye out for any Santa mugs or snowflake ornaments you may want for next year, but there may be better sales after December 25. If you can't make it to stores during those post holiday sales, then snag what you want now.

Toys and craft sets -- With so many deals in the kids' fun department, think about what birthdays may be coming up in the next few months and get them taken care of while the prices are low.

Wrapping paper and ribbons -- Plain colored wrapping paper and ribbons are always needed year-round. If there's a big sale sign, stock up on all of your wrapping needs.

What not to buy:

Sheets -- Though many department stores are knocking prices on everything, weekend "White Sales" during other parts of the year are usually better for those sheet sets, comforters, and pillows.

Furniture -- Again, you may be attracted to that 25% off tag hanging from the dining set or couch, but chances are there will be deeper discounts on furniture during another part of the year.

Help me add to this list: what do you buy during Christmas sales? What do you skip?

ŠiStockphoto.com/MattZ90             

by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Thanks for the info!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Appreciate the tips :)

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM

after christmas, candy

not to buy......anything full price!

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I buy anything I need whenever I need it. I've never really paid attention to sales unless there's something I want/need deeply discounted on Black Friday...lol.

wandep
I luv Disney :)
Today at 1:30 PM
by Pam on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Thanks. We don't have the extra money to spend on things. So we just buy Christmas presents during this time. That is a great idea tho.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Christmas Cards, anything for Christmas that I'll need next year. Tablecloths, often plain ones are on sale  as well, that can be used during the year.

Juniper53098
by June on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I buy the wrapping paper after Christmas.

Jemia
by Shekella on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Thanks for sharing!
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I stick up on wrapping supplies after Christmas
lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Thanks!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky