Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are we there yet?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 70 Replies
Ladies, I know I'm not the only one taking a road trip to visit family over the holidays... Who else is planning a few days in the car?

What are some things you do with your kids to keep them entertained during long car rides?
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM

We just finished a week in the car for our cross country move. 

I had coloring books, iPads, stuffed animals, monster high dolls, music, jerky, and candy to keep everyone entertained. Whenever we stopped for gas the girls got to pick a snack and drink they wanted. We stopped at neat things along the way, stopped at rest areas to stretch our legs. It really wasn't bad, they didn't whine at all. The girls acquired several new toys along the way, and got lots of Starbucks. 

For Christmas we are only traveling an hour away to see DH's family so that should be a breeze. 

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM
We are not but when going by car I scope out towns with parks or play places along the wy
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM
way
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

We play I spy and slug bug

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Not I...Have fun....

harmony7
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We are headed on a 13 hour drive Saturday and even though my boys are older it can be such a hassle to travel even with young teens who have not traveled as much..we stop often and I call out race games to them to get the edge off. We travel with a cooler and snacks and usually hand held games and puzzle books etc....But this year my DH bought a new van for me with all the bells and whistles soooo they can watch Movies with headphones on two different screens or plug in their consoles and play games on the drop down screens....so really cool...

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM

We are just gooing in a short trip. When we go on long trips we bring the kids hand held game systems

Mami2oneboy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

not us, but good luck

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

We're not taking a trip this holiday, but we drove cross country to Disneyland, then took a loop to visit my folks where they were living near Dallas before heading back to Wyoming a couple of years ago. 

Having some kind of DVD player, whether in vehicle or a personal one that you hang on the back of the seat is really helpful.  I also bought them each a small backpack before we left and packed it with new stuff, a travel journal that I made for the trip, all kinds of road games, a few new books and little games, little toys, etc.  I also made sure we had plenty of snacks and beverages for the road!  In fact, I go so far as to pack each person's AM and PM snacks in two separate lunch bags that are labelled for each day of our trip (we travel with 6-7 people, so such organization is necessary).

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I had a van like that and loved it.  My kids didn't watch too many movies though :/ dd said the headphones hurt her ears and ds gets car sick so he can't do anything but sit there, lol.
Have fun on your trip.

Quoting harmony7:

We are headed on a 13 hour drive Saturday and even though my boys are older it can be such a hassle to travel even with young teens who have not traveled as much..we stop often and I call out race games to them to get the edge off. We travel with a cooler and snacks and usually hand held games and puzzle books etc....But this year my DH bought a new van for me with all the bells and whistles soooo they can watch Movies with headphones on two different screens or plug in their consoles and play games on the drop down screens....so really cool...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN