Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: My Top 5 Winter Holiday Activities

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

No matter what you celebrate this time of year, there are so many ways to enjoy time off with your kids now that the holidays are here. Indoor activities, outdoor sports, window or gift shopping, traveling and exploring, or soaking in local culture and all the festive cheer that's all around. Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoying family time during the Christmas holidays, at home and around town. And I would love to hear your ideas too!

1) Visiting museums, which always embrace the holidays through art, and display unique and interesting things the whole family can enjoy. They also often have wonderful family programs which are a great way to have some fun, get creative and learn something new.

2) Getting tickets to a show of some kind. Whether it's a movie, a puppet show, a concert, a sports event, or a musical or dance performance of any kind, going out and enjoying some culture and entertainment is such a fun way to spend quality family time during the holidays.

3) Soaking in the sights. Every place seems decked with lights, color and cheer at this time of year. Make some hot cocoa and bundle up, and let the kids stay up late as a special treat so you can soak it all up. The magic of the season is a wonderful childhood feeling that many remember their whole lives, so let them experience it!

4) Exploring nature. Whether it's ice skating, making a snow man, cross country skiing, or if you're really lucky, I guess, snorkeling or collecting seashells somewhere sunny and bright, take some time to enjoy a fun, relaxing activity with your kids while they are out of school.

5) We don't have a fireplace, or I would say, "hanging out and reading and roasting marshmallow by the fire." But instead, we make gifts and holiday crafts and cards and bake; or play fun family games at home. Whether it's building a fort to hide in, or baking a whole castle made of gingerbread, enjoying a new card game or snuggling up with a bowl of popcorn and watching some really classic, fun, family holiday movies, this is my favorite time of year for indoor crafts and activities of all kinds with my family.

What are your personal top 5 family holiday activities?

© iStockphoto.com/monkeybusinessimages  

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Thanks for sharing!!

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Thanks! All great ideas! We love going to see different things during the holidays. My kids love the Christmas lights!
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Number 5 sounds like things we try to do !

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM

sledding, driving around to look at lights, hot chocolate, warm blankets, seeing family

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Doing winter activities outside, crafting, baking, singing songs,
wandep
by Pam on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Thanks, great idea!

fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Decorating the tree, building snowmen, going to holiday family parties. We're going to a rock 'n skate at the ice rink tomorrow if weather permits! 

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Great ideas. 

Angels_on_Guard
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM

We have don mostly everything that  listed in the post.

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Great ideas! we go and see the light displays too and ice skating at the outdoor rink =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN