No matter what you celebrate this time of year, there are so many ways to enjoy time off with your kids now that the holidays are here. Indoor activities, outdoor sports, window or gift shopping, traveling and exploring, or soaking in local culture and all the festive cheer that's all around. Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoying family time during the Christmas holidays, at home and around town. And I would love to hear your ideas too!
1) Visiting museums, which always embrace the holidays through art, and display unique and interesting things the whole family can enjoy. They also often have wonderful family programs which are a great way to have some fun, get creative and learn something new.
2) Getting tickets to a show of some kind. Whether it's a movie, a puppet show, a concert, a sports event, or a musical or dance performance of any kind, going out and enjoying some culture and entertainment is such a fun way to spend quality family time during the holidays.
3) Soaking in the sights. Every place seems decked with lights, color and cheer at this time of year. Make some hot cocoa and bundle up, and let the kids stay up late as a special treat so you can soak it all up. The magic of the season is a wonderful childhood feeling that many remember their whole lives, so let them experience it!
4) Exploring nature. Whether it's ice skating, making a snow man, cross country skiing, or if you're really lucky, I guess, snorkeling or collecting seashells somewhere sunny and bright, take some time to enjoy a fun, relaxing activity with your kids while they are out of school.
5) We don't have a fireplace, or I would say, "hanging out and reading and roasting marshmallow by the fire." But instead, we make gifts and holiday crafts and cards and bake; or play fun family games at home. Whether it's building a fort to hide in, or baking a whole castle made of gingerbread, enjoying a new card game or snuggling up with a bowl of popcorn and watching some really classic, fun, family holiday movies, this is my favorite time of year for indoor crafts and activities of all kinds with my family.
What are your personal top 5 family holiday activities?
Pens, pencils, markers, etc.