Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Day After Christmas Deals

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

The last thing on my mind the day after Christmas is shopping. Until lunch time, that is, when I am itching to get a break from all the family activities and get out of the house for a while. And what I have been happy to find, when I stroll around town, is that there is SO much you can save on the day after Christmas.

Some of my favorite finds have been kitchen items like fancy holiday cookie platters, a gingerbread house kit, a set of fun snowman mugs for hot cocoa, and pretty place mats. I also have found really cute winter-themed aprons and cookie boxes for my cousins, who we always see after the holiday so it's not too late to get them gifts yet.

Other great deals I always start to see now are all things winter related, from coats and hats to sleds and skis. Stores tend to try to push all of that holiday gear off their shelves at once, eager to sell it before the holiday vacation is officially over and no one has time or interest in it anymore. This is a great time to think ahead, before it's all sold out, and get some beautiful ornaments and warm winter clothing if not for right now, then maybe for next year.

Wrapping paper, cards, gift boxes, gift bags and ribbon are other favorites of mine to save on. These things really add up fast, and you can always find pretty paper that can be used for ANY occasion, all year, when the sales start today. They are not all Christmas themed! You can use these to wrap gifts of course but also to make cards, garlands and other fun crafts with your kids all year, so stock up now when they are half-price or even less. I also use ribbon for all sorts of things, and it's great to have several colors and types on hand, I find.

What do you like to save on most, right after the holidays?

© iStockphoto.com/urbanglimpses

by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I love going shopping on the day after Christmas! I go and get wrapping paper on sale. Clothes get super cheap after Christmas too! I like finding toys marked down as well to save for birthdays!

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Christmas lights!
letstalk747
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

the decorations

momma-flynn
by Greta on Dec. 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't do a lot of after christmas shopping but when I do I usually grab some new decorations. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

not sure what i will get but i wanna go look lol...

Moms_Angels1960
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

That's the 1st thing on my mind the day after Christmas and usually for several days before I make my list of what I want to be getting at those sales. I have found or had my eye on several things usually before hand and do hope they are there afterwards.

I save a ton of money that people don't realize you can do because they start shopping so late to begin with if they shopped earlier they would have more money to get after Christmas sales. In fact I am glad more people don't do what I do that leaves more for me to look at.

Moms_Angels1960
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Quoting jconney80:

I love going shopping on the day after Christmas! I go and get wrapping paper on sale. Clothes get super cheap after Christmas too! I like finding toys marked down as well to save for birthdays!

I save stuff for birthdays as well as almost have my shopping done the day after.

deedee3849
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Usually I buy clothes when I shop after Christmas.
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

decorations 

wandep
by Pam on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

We're not going. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)