Group Home

Smarter Celebrations: A New Twist on the Holiday Photo

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

We have not sent out our holiday card yet. Well, the truth is, we probably won't be sending a card out. The past few years, we've bypassed the traditional folded greeting that one pops into the mailbox. Rather, my husband has assembled a montage of video clips we've taken over the year for a 12-month retrospective of Kiddo's (and our) adventures.

A few of my friends are doing similar things -- either little videos greetings with the family yelling "Ho ho ho" to the camera or just an e-photo card. All good for the trees and a big time-saver (clicking a few buttons is way more convenient than addressing envelope after envelope, no?). No matter if you choose to send out a regular card or do something online, why not jazz it up that photo a little this year?

-- Give the camera to the kids. Have the kids take some video of you, the decorations, the dog with antlers on his head, and narrate a video greeting for the family.

-- Take a family selfie. Instead of schlepping to some (often overpriced) photo studio to take a really posed picture that no one looks good in, gather on your bed and take a fun family selfie in your holiday pajamas...Santa hats optional.

-- Carol to the camera. With the camera rolling, sing your favorite holiday tune, and maybe shuffle off a few dance moves. Trust me, your Aunt Betty will love getting this more than a card with a glittery tree on it.

-- Postpone til February. Why not send a Groundhog Day greeting or a Valentine's Day mini-movie to your family and friends. It will be a nice surprise to perk up folks during the weeks of post-holiday blues.

Do you send holiday cards? How many do you send? Ever thought of sending an e-card?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/ superchappie

by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I did cards last minute wasnt going to then changed my mind
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM
love the idea of giving the camera to rhe kuds
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM
the kids
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM

We don't do them every year,
Not this year ..

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:30 AM

We are doing New Year's Cards, I hope.  lol

Mznaye
by Jo on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM
I did cards this year.
Juniper53098
by June on Dec. 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM

We sent about 30 photo cards.  We used photos that were taken throughout the year.  DH with his deer, me with a fish I caught.  DD at our family campout.  DS with my SIL's dog.  The family atop a big rock formation.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Dec. 24, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Never sent an e card....I think we'll do New Years cards....I haven't gotten a pic of the girls or us for that matter, in front of the tree.....Maybe someone will take one tonight and I'll get them made....Just  with 2 deaths in the family, makes the season suck... 

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:44 AM

i'm thinking of giving up on cards of any kind!  when i sent out e-cards a few years ago everyone griped about them.  this year i sent out "real" cards with family photos, hadn't gotten them done in a few years so i included photos in most of my cards.  i can't tell you exactly how many i sent out but i know it was over 30.  how many did i receive, less than 10.  but if i do nothing, no e-card or real card, everyone's contacting me wondering what's wrong. 

luvnature
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I send cards every year. I love doing it and it is my personal tradition. I can't send ecards because I have gotten viruses from various ecard sites so I don't trust any of them. Also, my mother does not have a computer, so it would be rather mean of me not to send her a card. this year I sent out around 30 cards and only received 3 back from the people I sent them to. Our other cards we have came from my dd's paper route customers who love her to pieces. I don't care if I don't get cards back, because I love giving and Christmas is all about giving. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690