Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Winter Break Activities to Keep Them Busy

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

It's the day after...how is the state of your home today? Piles of presents still scattered about the living room? Are your kids still playing with the toys and games they got from Santa? We all joke about how we get our kids presents at holiday time and they play with them for a matter of hours...and then say they are bored. It's funny because it is true. Well, semi-true. 

The thing is, no matter how many new toys were under that tree, we still have over a week left in Winter Break. No school plus possible weather conditions that prohibit getting out and about equals everyone in the abode heading to Stir-Crazy Town. Need a few new ideas on what to do to avoid another mishap like last winter, when the bathroom wall somehow became orange-and-pink-striped and the dog was dressed up like Groucho Marx complete with mustache? Consider the following suggestions a belated Xmas present from yours truly!

-- Make an obstacle course. Get those cushions off of the couch, arrange Tupperware as cones, use whatever is at hand and have a bit of family obstacle course fun. Go one by one as someone times each competitor or see if Cuddles the Hamster can do it...no matter what your rules are, just enjoy some indoor adrenaline-boosting races.

-- Create ornaments for next year. We talked a few weeks ago about cool ornaments the kids can make -- with all of the festive fixings still around, get started on decorations for next year!

-- Learn a new game. Always wanted to play Chess? What about Risk? Maybe your gang hasn't attempted Monopoly yet. Whatever it is, stay in your pjs all day and have a new game marathon. Texas Hold' Em anyone?

-- Make the biggest fort ever. Grab the blankets and ties and go to town in the dining room. Work as a family to make the biggest fort you ever have...and maybe have a sleepover there? Bonus points if you can see the TV for movie night ala fort!

-- Reading Challenge. Start a chart and see who can read for the most minutes over the next week. Snuggled up and exploring new tales on a chilly day? Priceless.

What activities do you have planned for the winter break? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/Mastaka 

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM

We decided in the morning it would be family game day.  I have to work and so does my husband but not till later so we get the day to spend making memories with all their new stuff.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:33 PM
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Looks fun!
We've been playing cards ;)

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM

tyfs we are going to start working on workbooks and holiday challenge homework from dd1's school

wandep
by Pam on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM

NONE!!! We are just hanging at the house and relaxing for the next two weeks. :)

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM

No real plans..She has a ton of Christmas presents to keep her interest. Play with the kids in the neighborhood.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Yesterday morning we were without power for several hours, from before we got up about 6 until after 10.  The girls got to play with all their non electronic devices and the board games we got for Christmas!

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM

we do lots of snow and outside stuff :)

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM

don't really have any activities planned.  the kids & hubby are going to a basketball game this saturday.  today they have the dentist & have to go shopping to spend some of their christmas money.  friday or monday we'll be taking a little drive so my daughter can pick out her new violin.  that's about it. 

my kids are good about entertaining themselves so i never have to worry about keeping them busy/entertained.  they both will be doing allot of reading as they want to get more free basketball tickets & six flag tickets so that'll keep them busy too! ;o)

othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM

We like to play games, go for walks, go to the park and things like that

fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I love the idea of a reading challenge. So far, my kids are just thrilled with their gifts :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN