Group Home

Smarter Style: Quick Bedroom Upgrades

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies

Now that the year is ending, and the holidays will soon be winding down, it's time to get excited for new things and fresh starts. And what better way to help yourself be motivated for all the New Year can bring than to freshen up your bedroom(s) with some quick, easy and affordable upgrades that will be fun to do and make a lasting impression? Think of what you wish for most in the New Year, and let yourself be inspired by that when you decide how to fix up your bedroom. For example, if your goal is to be more calm and relaxed, chose that as your theme when you pick new colors to work with. If you are looking for more energy and excitement, think of that when you shop for and design your upgrades.

Once you have a theme, or mood, in mind, pick a few colors that go with that and get some fresh paint. You can just paint one wall, or all four. You could even just paint your ceiling. Another option is to go with a fresh coat of white all around, and use your chosen colors to add splashes around the room either by buying or making some new pillows, a quilt or bedspread, or curtains. A new area rug and a vase are also nice new touches. Adding a mirror can add light and reflection, which can be both soothing and bright; a great trick in any room. If your room is dark, consider a new lamp, or even just getting a brighter bulb and a new white shade. Light can make all the difference in the way a room feels, and makes you feel.

When rethinking your bedroom, focus on the bed and your bedside tables, as well as color and light, but don't forget about your closets. Having a nice, clean room won't do much for you if you open your closet and it's a total disaster in there. Take time to reorganize that part of your life too. Get some new bins, hanging shelves, and hangers to help you out. Clear out any clutter or items you never wear, and if you can afford it, as a special treat, buy yourself something new that makes you feel great, whether it's super soft slippers, a luxurious set of jammies or a new winter coat. Taking a little time to clean up and fix up your bedroom (and / or your kids' rooms!) will go a long way to getting you excited to wake up and face each day in the New Year, and help you rest better each night too.

If you redo your bedroom, what mood would you choose to create?

© iStockphoto.com/kash76

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Im not sure i hope next year to get an actual bedroom set for me right now my mattress and boxspring are just on the floor
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
a new mattress would be awesome!!
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Romance and rustic? Not sure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM
My room is just for sleeping
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I would love a zen room with no clutter and soothing color on the walls.
lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM

I'd love a nice bedroom but dh and I will be in the living room so the kids can have their own rooms. We couldn't find a big enough apartment

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
A bit of calm, but I would like romantic too.
wandep
by Pam on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

This would be nice. :)

Quoting momofnatalie: I would love a zen room with no clutter and soothing color on the walls.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I like my bedroom being my santuary.  It's my place to relax.  As long as it is free from clutter, I'm good.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine was redone this summer. I love it. It is an olive green... shabby chic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80