Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

oh why didn't i think of that earlier?!!

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:12 AM
  • 8 Replies

we're getting our 10yr old a new violin for christmas.  she's pretty much outgrown the 3/4 she's been playing so she's in need of a full size one & since this will be one that she plays for a long time we want to get her a nice one & let her pick it out.  the one she plays now was my nephews & the 1/2 that she started playing with was a starter one i had found on craigslist.  now that she knows more about the violin, she's been playing for 3 years, i want her to pick out her next one.  so i'll be taking her shopping sometime in the next week for her new one. 

well it won't really be new new.  there are a few places around me that refurbish/fix up old violins & resell them.  we can't afford to pay allot for a brand new one so we're going the refurbished route.

since we're letting her choose her next violin i wanted to get her a little violin gift to open on christmas with a note about taking her shopping for a new one.  i looked forever for a violin ornament & never found one.  sunday i checked out the last music store in the area & found a violin pen.  not what i wanted but the only violin item i've found so i picked that up for her.  i'll wrap it up & give that to her.

well this morning i had a thought that woke me up.  i should have bought her the case & wrapped that up with a note where the violin should be about her getting to pick out her new one.  it would have been so perfect her opening this new violin case & it being empty except for a note.  why oh why didn't i think of that earlier?!

oh well!!  maybe such good ideas will come to me earlier next year!

by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
baquick
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:18 AM
How sweet! I remember picking out my full sized violin :-) we went to a little Luthier shop about an hour away and my grandma had told him my preferences and her price range. He had several set aside. I loved playing the different violins and testing different bows. Picking out my black case with royal blue lining was so fun. It wrapped up the day perfectly. I believe we spent about 3 hours there testing out violins and bows. It's a fond, fond memory that honestly I had completely forgotten until this post. He cleaned it all up and polished it for me. Even tied a little bow around the neck. It's a memory she will cherish forever!
baquick
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:20 AM
You ca write a note and tie it to the pen saying "a new pencil to go with a new violin to make your mark on music" or something like that?
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:36 AM

oh that is so sweet!  i hope my daughter does enjoy the experience as much as you did!

Quoting baquick: How sweet! I remember picking out my full sized violin :-) we went to a little Luthier shop about an hour away and my grandma had told him my preferences and her price range. He had several set aside. I loved playing the different violins and testing different bows. Picking out my black case with royal blue lining was so fun. It wrapped up the day perfectly. I believe we spent about 3 hours there testing out violins and bows. It's a fond, fond memory that honestly I had completely forgotten until this post. He cleaned it all up and polished it for me. Even tied a little bow around the neck. It's a memory she will cherish forever!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:36 AM

that's cute.  i may have to borrow that!

Quoting baquick: You ca write a note and tie it to the pen saying "a new pencil to go with a new violin to make your mark on music" or something like that?

baquick
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:29 AM
I'm sure she will! If she has already gone through 2 sizes, she will most likely stick it out for a long time :-)

What method is she learning? I started out with Suzuki method until HS and then switched to a private teacher there.

Quoting lizzig:

oh that is so sweet!  i hope my daughter does enjoy the experience as much as you did!

Quoting baquick: How sweet! I remember picking out my full sized violin :-) we went to a little Luthier shop about an hour away and my grandma had told him my preferences and her price range. He had several set aside. I loved playing the different violins and testing different bows. Picking out my black case with royal blue lining was so fun. It wrapped up the day perfectly. I believe we spent about 3 hours there testing out violins and bows. It's a fond, fond memory that honestly I had completely forgotten until this post. He cleaned it all up and polished it for me. Even tied a little bow around the neck. It's a memory she will cherish forever!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM

she took two years of classical but not suzuki.  over the summer she started learning irish fiddle & that's pretty much her concentration for now.  next year when she's in jr high she'll be doing both, classical violin & irish fiddle.  though she has now decided she wants to learn all strings so she's considering playing the cello in school next year rather than violin.  she'll still do irish fiddle though.

Quoting baquick: I'm sure she will! If she has already gone through 2 sizes, she will most likely stick it out for a long time :-)

What method is she learning? I started out with Suzuki method until HS and then switched to a private teacher there.

Quoting lizzig:

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I hate it when I have a great idea AFTER I've already settled for my okay one. UGH. Feel ya. I'm sure either way she'll be stoked. :)

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM

that would have been great, but i'm sure the pen will do the trick just fine. I always get my good ideas too late too. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)