he's out of control!!!

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM
  • 22 Replies

i love my husband but he has a problem.  he can't control himself at christmas!!  every year i'll set a limit for gifts & we buy the kids gifts together so we stay in that limit.  yet every year he always ends up going out & buying more!!  like this year he went out & bought two more gifts for our daughter & three more for our son.  i suggested we save them for three kings day, which both kids get 3 more gifts & he said "no, i'll get them more for then."  uhg!!! 

we have to give our son one of the extra gifts he bought for christmas because he's not getting as much, or so hubby thinks.  quantitly wise i make sure they always have the same number of gifts.  they've never counted them but i don't want there to be a year where they do & one to have 1 more gift.  i saw this fight with my siblings, nieces & nephews every year growing up & thusly don't want it with my kids! ;o) 

while we generally try to spend about the same on both kids there are times when it just doesn't work out so.  like this year our daughter is getting a new violin because she is ready for a full sized one so we are spending a bit more money on her.  which is why my husband had to go out & buy more gifts for our son!  especially the one he says we have to give him for christmas rather than three kings day, a psp.  he got it at a pawn shop for a great price but still our son already has a "big" gift.  he's only 6 & not going to realize his "big" gift didn't cost as much as his sisters violin! 

we go through this stuff every year with birthdays & christmas.  i understand why my husband feels the need to go overboard with gifts, he grew up with nothing & while he's able to give to his kids he's going to.  i just wish he would realize more isn't always better!

by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IncognitoOne
by Angela on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I know the feeling, only, I'm the shopper, lol. I'm freaking out right now because my boys have 4 each and one to share under the tree and my daughter has 5 of her own.

Really, she has 6 of her own, I wrapped two together, lol. I would like to get the boys ONE more thing each so it's more evened out, but DH said NO!

We went out together and got the kids presents. I gave my daughter one of hers a few days after I bought it because I found something I liked better for her...so things were still even. But then I went out and bought them all more. Then the boys found her "Santa" gift, so I had to get her something else, well, they found it too (that's why she has two wrapped together, lol) so I had to get her something else again.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:26 AM

lol!  sounds like you need better hiding spots mama!  or you can try telling your kids what i did, if they snoop then those gifts they've seen go to toys for tots & don't get replaced with anything else.  my kids have never tried to snoop again!

Quoting IncognitoOne:

I know the feeling, only, I'm the shopper, lol. I'm freaking out right now because my boys have 4 each and one to share under the tree and my daughter has 5 of her own.

Really, she has 6 of her own, I wrapped two together, lol. I would like to get the boys ONE more thing each so it's more evened out, but DH said NO!

We went out together and got the kids presents. I gave my daughter one of hers a few days after I bought it because I found something I liked better for her...so things were still even. But then I went out and bought them all more. Then the boys found her "Santa" gift, so I had to get her something else, well, they found it too (that's why she has two wrapped together, lol) so I had to get her something else again.

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I didn't hide hers as well because she's 15 months and wouldn't know the difference. They didn't find any of their own gifts, they only found her gifts, so that wouldn't have been fair to her, lol.

I hid theirs so deep in the closet...I'm surprised the closet monster didn't eat them.

Quoting lizzig:

lol!  sounds like you need better hiding spots mama!  or you can try telling your kids what i did, if they snoop then those gifts they've seen go to toys for tots & don't get replaced with anything else.  my kids have never tried to snoop again!

Quoting IncognitoOne:

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM
im about the number of gifts when they are young mine are 8,6,1. but my husband doesnt see it that way he sees the amount of money I spend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:36 AM

when they're little there is such a gap in price ranges for toys.  toddler toys rarely cost as much as older kids toys.  so if you keep the cost the same for all then there definitely will be a quantity discrepancy.

Quoting mommyof11050307: im about the number of gifts when they are young mine are 8,6,1. but my husband doesnt see it that way he sees the amount of money I spend.

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:40 AM
all three of them have about the sake amount of gifts and I spent equal amount on each one plus theur joint gift.

Quoting lizzig:

when they're little there is such a gap in price ranges for toys.  toddler toys rarely cost as much as older kids toys.  so if you keep the cost the same for all then there definitely will be a quantity discrepancy.

Quoting mommyof11050307: im about the number of gifts when they are young mine are 8,6,1. but my husband doesnt see it that way he sees the amount of money I spend.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM
i try to keep it as even as possible. ds1 gifts are more expensive so he has one less than his brother but he doesnt believe anymore and understands this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:50 AM
My parents never bothered keeping the number of gifts even. My brother and I didn't care, and there was no tension or anything between us. I do not try to keep the number even when shopping for other siblings, and I will not do it for my children. We really try to teach dd that just because one person receives something does not mean that she will or should.

Hey, at least your dh likes to shop for them! They were a few posts about the dh not wanting her to spend money on gifts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Rain2Rinse: My parents never bothered keeping the number of gifts even. My brother and I didn't care, and there was no tension or anything between us. I do not try to keep the number even when shopping for other siblings, and I will not do it for my children. We really try to teach dd that just because one person receives something does not mean that she will or should.

Hey, at least your dh likes to shop for them! They were a few posts about the dh not wanting her to spend money on gifts.

those make me chuckle because we're the complete opposite.  i'm "tight" with the money while he's the free spender.

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM

maybe you should suggest he not spend that extra money on material stuff, but how about a family day out to a zoo or museum or something? spending time with their parents I would think would be much better than another toy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: